What Will Climber Do in Nature?

I am curious about what climbers will do in their nature environment. Here I am referring to climbers that can train on vertical surface with our help, but cannot do this without human help. Will they simply crawl around on the ground and become something like ground cover?

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

Are we talking about John Edwards here? Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

How about naming the specific plants to which you allude?

Most garden cultivars will not persist in the wild. The garden is their "natural" environment.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

No we are talking about that dim Dubaya.

Without his handlers, that mook surely would be a danger to himself!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Actually, I am not asking for any specific plant; I am just asking this in general. Having said that, I have a climbing rose in my garden that has pinky red flowers in early summer that I need to tie its branches to a vertical support; otherwise, its branches will go horizontally. I don't know if the branches will go down and crawl on the ground or not because I always prune them or tie them before they go that far.

Do you mean a climber is probably something that people developed through the years in a man-made environment and only mean to live in a garden and not in nature?

Thanks in advance for any info. I am curious.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

Climbing roses are definitely the result of human intervention, typically hybridized from rose species that are sprawlers or ramblers by nature and generate long, flexible canes.

True vines, many of which have very natural origins, will adapt themselves to their local environment and grow on/through/over whatever other plant material is available. If no other plants around, they tend to be sprawling groundcovers, but there is usually always a tree or shrub or some sort of woody vegetation in the proximity to clamber on.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Thanks for the explanation. This makes sense now.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan