Climber advice?

Hi Everyone
I am new to the forum and relatively new to gardening, my mission this year is to sort out my garden.
I am wanting a climber which is fast growing, hardy, likes partial shade, ideally evergreen and if possible something which flowers although this is not essential.
I know the Russian Vine grows quickly but its looks a bit too straggly for the 'look' I am wanting.
I am leaning towards virginia creeper but I know this isnt an evergreen and doesnt flower. I am a bit dubious about going for an evergreen clematis as a clematis I had last year didnt do well at all.
I have also come across the "Fire Creeper"?
I am currently growing from seed some Cobea (sp?) plant but I would like something to cover my garage wall asap as it is very unsightly!
Anything which would attract birds or give them somewhere to nest would be a great bonus!
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Gemma
--
Gem

Gem;953762 Wrote: > Hi Everyone

> year is to sort out my garden.

> shade, ideally evergreen and if possible something which flowers > although this is not essential.

> for the 'look' I am wanting.

> and doesnt flower. I am a bit dubious about going for an evergreen > clematis as a clematis I had last year didnt do well at all.

> something to cover my garage wall asap as it is very unsightly!

> be a great bonus!

Hi Gem, as a grower and seller of plants, this is probably one of the most frequently asked question, along with it must be salt hardy (living as I do in Cornwall) and there are three candidates that spring to mind. The first and probably the most popular is an evergreen honeysuckle called Lonicera halliana, its fast growing, evergreen, hardy and has attractive yellow and white sweetly scented summer flowers and does very well in the shade. Second would be a climbing hydrangea going by the name of Hydrangea seemanii, its hardy, self clinging, evergreen and grows well in the shade. Its not as fast growing (initially) as the former but does the job of covering very well and it has white lace- cap like flowers in summer. Third would be a shrub that is used against walls and is called Pyracantha, its relatively quick growing, evergreen, very hardy and is smothered in white flowers in June, followed by a stunning display of autumn berries (that the birds love) The only downside with the very attractive shrub is that its incredibly thorny.
No doubt others will offer alternatives but these are (from experience) what I'd be planting.
regards, Lannerman.
--
lannerman