Hi, new to apple trees

I just planted 2. One is a Yellow Delicious semi-dwarf and the other is a Granny Smith. They are about 15 ft apart.

Besides adding a tree spike food about 2 ft from the base of each and watering each day until they seem to establish, is there more i need to do this first year? They are each about 5ft tall with some leaves. There is a stake to keep them somewhat straight and both are pretty much in full sun area.

I live in Norfolk USA area (Zone 7). I expect the squirrels to get most of the fruits, but to be able to garner smoking wood for the fireplace and smoker, and many a few apples.

Reply to
cshenk

I live in Zone 8-9 clear across the USofA from you but have also planted semi-dwarf apples trees. I had them in the ground in Spring and I was amazed how much they grew this past summer.

I pretty much handled the planting as you have described. I use my weed-eater a lot so I did protect the small trunks with PVC pipe. I also have the trees planted inside a 3" diameter circle which not only helps keep the weeds down but it allows more water to reach the roots.

Keep in touch! I'm hoping for a few apples this time next year.

Donna inWA

Reply to
DEM

Reply to
jimmy

This is the first I have heard that Ortho's Orchard Spray is unavailable. I'm pretty sure you can still buy it in the concentrated liquod form. It probably works just as well as the powder with less chance of clogging your sprayer. As a fallback, there are plenty of good substitutes for this product. You may have to buy the insecticide and fungicides separately and mix them together.

I'm sure Sam's Club apples don't taste as good as those grown on your own tree. They also are limited in the choice of varieties.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwin dubren

You really should not be fertilizing first year trees.

I would cover them with mulch and some slow release fertilizer to keep them at uniform temperature this winter and to give them a slow release of energy for next spring. The other poster's idea of a cleared ring around the tree is a good one. Don't pile any mulch close to the trunk and extend the circle out to the drip line.

sherwin

Reply to
sherwin dubren