Spikey Thorny Climber Sought !

I'm searching for a tough, hardy, evergreen climber to protect from burglars an exposed easily climbed front wall in the UK. Ideally with huge spikes, local garden centres only have 'firethorn' with prehaps 1 or 2cm spikes but I have seen in the past somewhere a plant with 3 or

4cm plus evil spikes !? Please help ! Pete
Reply to
respec24

Not evergreen, but effective!

Charlie

Effective indeed but it lacks the warmth and charm of, say, a hedge of hawthorn. Well, good show, carry on.

Reply to
Billy

Macfadyena unguis-cati, certainly vigorous and has spikes (called cat claw creeper) but I am not sure if the climate is warm enough, it might grow in the south of UK.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Not evergreen or a vine but effective and you can make rose hip jam plus flowers.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

In message , respec24 writes

The Firethorn (Pyracantha) can certainly provide a pretty daunting barrier within a relatively short period of time.

See :

may also like to consider holly, Berberis Darwinii, Chaenomeles quince which has several very prickly forms), hawthorn, blackthorn etc.. If it was my problem, I'd got for the Pyracantha or the Berberis - the latter grows very dense and is extremely prickly. Certainly it would deter me if I had burgling tendencies :-))

OOI you may care to review the gardenbanter archive.... see:

luck!

Reply to
Gopher

Wickedly thorny and tough and limbs anything. Big downside is that, if you once let it get out of control, you may not be able to keep in in check.

John McGaw

An antique climbing rose named "mermaid". The cane will get as thick as a broomhandle and has the most evil thorns I've ever seen on a rose. Plus it has decently looking white blooms much of the summer.

KC

Reply to
KC

I shall, thank you.

To hell with charm, if burglars or danger is involved. Though it's not an entirely unattractive tree, why not plant a hedge of Honey Locust...thick edible pod juice stuff, sweet as syrup, and serious thorny deterrent properties.

who has ever run afoul of this tree knows what I'm talkin' about. Don't know if available in the UK, most people wouldn't care, as it rapidly overgrows areas.

Reply to
Charlie