Second Nature kitchens

I was thinking of buying a Second Nature kitchen as they look reasonably good. Someone told me that Second Nature only make the doors, and the dealers then get the carcasses from elsewhere in order to make a complete unit. Sounds like a strange scheme, can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Reply to
noos999

The message from " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk" contains these words:

It certainly wouldn't surprise me. Why re-invent the wheel?

Reply to
Guy King

I think that the doors are made (or rather distributed) by PWS or one of the other massive kitchen distributors. Carcasses are a bit too bulky to distribute like that, I guess, given that decent quality ones aren't flat-pack. So yes.

Reply to
Bolted

I see! So if I can get hold of the doors, I could buy some carcasses from somewhere and make up the units myself -does anyone know a good place to buy carcasses?

Bolted wrote:

Reply to
noos999

I used Frontline

for mine, but that was because they do custom sizing, which doesn't work with off-the-shelf doors. I didn't price check because I needed the custom sizing. I'm sure you could get as good or better deal from Howdens or somewhere.

I think you can get the doors here - I think this is second nature stuff? Again, no idea what the prices are like.

like Isaac Lord or Woodfit might be able to source PWS stuff as well if you ask, you never know.

Reply to
Bolted

The message from " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk" contains these words:

Five years later I'm still very happy with the B&Q 15mm units we bought. Except for the pull out larder - which the wife pulled out. Easily fixed and hasn't happened since because I did what I thought I should have done at the outset and not trusted the tiddly little screws they supplied.

Reply to
Guy King

Our B&Q units are about 17 years on, and apart from a couple of packs of hinges have needed little attention. The biggest problem was levelling them as they had non-dajustble feet, and the extended part of the kitchen had a level floor, but the original part (built by the man with the green and white helicopter) slopes away from the extension*.

  • When putting up plasterboard, the genuinely rectangular boards when plumbed vertical, had a half inch gap at one side with the ceiling, and none at the other side. It had me confused for a while until I checked levels with a (long) u tube - about 3" across the house.
Reply to
<me9

The message from contains these words:

I've never yet met a square, plumb and true house. I once went out with a girl whose family lived above the tea shop at the the top end of Sevenoaks High Street - bits of which were 17th century. The floor sloped so much in their living room that the telly needed about an inch packer under one side to get it level. Wasn't even a very big telly!

Reply to
Guy King

That's to be expected on a 17C house. This one was about 10 years old at the time, but was built by a well known bodger^W builder.

Reply to
<me9