Vine ID needed

My neighbor is having a modesto ash trimmed. It's been attacked by a vine for years. The workmen say the vine is "wisteria ivy" but it doesn't look like anything I can find on Google Images.

Any guesses? Images at

Is this the right group for this question or is there a "tree" group that this should be posted.

thanks

Reply to
elfa45

Not "wisteria ivy" but merely wisteria. From the photos, I guess the vine might be 10-15 years old. Soon, it will kill the ash tree.

I saw a wisteria almost kill an Italian cypress near my house. The tree was saved two years ago by cutting the vine at the ground, but the vine had so entwined the cypress that the dead shoots remain two years later.

See , which describes how a wisteria vine planted in 1894 caused a house to be destroyed less than

40 years later.
Reply to
David E. Ross

Never heard of wisteria ivy but it does look like ordinary wisteria. Did it ever bloom? If it did, did it have purple or white blossoms? If it was either it could well be common wisteria.

Reply to
George Shirley

I'd say it's wisteria but without any pics of the foliage or flowers it's hard to be truly certain.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

That's the weird thing...no flowers or foliage. Google Image shows purplish flowers. There's just a couple of images that look like the vine I see.

*
Reply to
elfa45