long shot: picture needed

I need a photograph as follows: Black and white or colour Subject: Boy who looks about 11 or 12. He will be seen in profile, looking ahead. He will be dressed as a working class boy of the 1950s. Probably a shirt, short sleeved pullover, and shorts. No tie. Ordinary shoes. Perspective: needs to have been taken from medium or far distance. Lighting: ideally cloudy-bright outdoor. Needed for a book cover. It will just be one small item on a graphic.

Anyone?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

[...]

Not writing your autobiography, are you?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Reading that the first thing I thought of was a Google image search of "Kes". But he's always got the bloody kestrel on his arm.

One approach would be to think of old films which had such a character and do a Google image search on the name of the film. Or actors who played such roles as boys. Maybe Dennis Waterman did ?

Basically if you spend enough time searching Google images you should eventually find something and at a resolution that will suffice.

Getty images used to have a site, maybe still do hostinng 1000's of images again with search terms. The only problem with them unless you pay is a big opaque G in the middle.

Other than that as I doubt you regard this book as a way to making a fortune the question of royalties probably doesn't arise.

michael adams

michael adams

In message <qoi0s1$thg$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, Bill Wright snipped-for-privacy@f2s.com writes

I suspect that at least one of your readers will have family photograph albums from the 1950s containing one or more photos answering to that description. You also wouldn't have to worry about tracking down the copyright holder, unlike if you found something on the Web or in a book.

Reply to
John Hall

One of the boys here might meet your requirement, if you can get a high enough resolution copy

both taken from
upper body, school uniform, cap, no tie
boy in shorts and jumper, training dog

both from
Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

"Dad, can I come down t' ladder this time, It was reet mucky inside yon chimbly"

Reply to
Graham.

I have attached a picture to a message in free.virginmedia.binaries.test because this group can't deliver binaries.

The text with it says Not quite to your specification but reasonably close.

1940s and not quite in profile. But if you can't find anything better it might do.

You can make up your own mind whether you want it or not.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

It isn't an autobiog. It's written.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

That's exactly right.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Owain, yes, some of those boys are correct for the period, and looking at the picture has firmed up my idea of what I need.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Thanks Jim. I don't know how to see this picture! What do I do?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You'd have to use a different news server as aioe.org doesn't carry the binary groups

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's an interesting grammatical point there. Most non-Yorkshire people when trying to emulate Yorkshire-speak (I think Barnsley is a good centre for catching this sort of thing) put the t' as preceding the next word when in fact it is spoken as an appendage to the last word.

Reply to
Woody

Sorry - it hadn't occurred to me that you might be on a server that doesn't carry binary groups.

I have put the picture in Dropbox

It isn't me, by the way.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

That's no good lad! He is obviously saying to hImself "Where's 't'bloody bus? It wuh supposed t be 'ere ten minutes ago!"

[Woody: note my own punctuation for the Yorkshire glottal stop. (Bra'fud lad speakin')]

J.

Reply to
Another John

As you are reasonably going to have to pay a copyright fee for this type of use

why not just go to a picture library?

tim

Reply to
tim...

I'd have thought some historic pictures must exist in museums very like that, Certainly I bet there are lots of the open cast coal mine in Hunslit.

No I'm not going to emulate the northern speak. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes which is why I suggested museums, since what they might want is probably a credit in the book and little more.

What is also a good idea would be somebody good at cartoons to show the sort of people who had tv problems back in the day. There were some wonderfully clueless and yet strangely appealing people.

My late father, once it was known he worked for a company which made TVs used to get calls at the Dorr. Ethel at no 56 says you know about tvs, I think the picture valve has gone as there is a funny smell and no picture but the sound works, then when my dad looking a bit baffled due to having just awoken from a sleep induced by a soap on the box was about to speak and they did the whole thing again, like some sort of recording. Actually, he basically declined as further questioning suggested said set was still under guarantee anyway. So beware if you get to be known for some talent, and do not want to make a second business in your spare time, plead ignorance!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It will either bee uuencoded or base 64 encoded, and many newsreaders of a certain vintage can use either. It is over many messages usually. It might have been better for them to use dropbox as its less messy and prone to failure. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'm dreadfully old fashioned you know.

That's rather nice. I wish he was looking forwards though! On the finished graphic her will be looking across the road and wondering whether to cross. Thank you. Might have a fiddle about and try to use that.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright