OT help

Can anyone help? My son works off shore in many different parts of the world, he is planning on getting a laptop and is wondering how he can get e mail without the cost of having to use a Mobile phone for the connection which would cost an arm and a leg. Does anyone know of a ISP provider that could be accessed from a variety of phone numbers around the world at one cost?

His actual words were...... "I need a subscription to an ISP that will allow me to be able to plug into a phone line in the Houston crew flat or the Aberdeen crew flat or a crew flat in which ever other country I happen to be in and connect to a local number for my dial up connection. " All ideas gratefully received

David Hill Abacus nurseries

David Hill

AOL is, unfortunately, your best bet.

Reply to
Privacy, please

America Online, Compuserve, & MSN all fit the bill here with AOL/Compuserve likely being the best bet.

James

Reply to
JNJ

Use AOL and set the service up to do "flashsession", which will automatically, or when you decide, connect to the ISP, download all incoming email and usenet posts (if you choose to) and also send any email written while offline and send any usenet posts, then it disconnects.

No need to be connected to the internet unless you're literally surfing the WWW.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Hey David:

What's your son doing that they would fly him to oil platforms all over the world? I know a lot of folks who work in the oil patch, but the only one who fills his passport with stamps is a saturation (deep sea) diver.

I'm just curious (er, nosy).

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

".....What's your son doing that they would fly him to oil platforms all over the world?........."

Not just Oil rigs.... he's an Oceanographic surveyor

Reply to
David Hill

Wow -- sounds like a fun job! Give him a tip 'o the hat from me, when you talk to him. (I'm sure he already knows that Aberdeen is hard to beat for a pub crawl, from what I gather from oil field hands...)

Jan, a frustrated scientist

Reply to
Jan Flora

May I say thank you to all who came up with so many different Ideas. I have forwarded some on to him for him to make his decision, but I have learned a lot. Again Thanks

Reply to
David Hill