Re: PHACELIA TANACETIFOLIA as a green manure

> After succesfully using Comfrey (Bocking variety) as a green manure, I am > thinking of growing some Phacelia. I intend to sow in September, but am > not sure what one does after that ! If I sow in September in the UK, > roughly when can I expect the plants to flower ?

If the weather stays frost free, as long as it takes the plant.. Not sure what the period prior to flowering is for Phacelia but you can be almost sure it will be brought on by the shortening daylengths and cooler temps... Phacelia is not hardy except in sheltered areas so if you get frost it may not be effective as a green manure. It can set seed if it flowers successfully though and is a great pollinator..

You might post to uk.rec.gardening for a beetter and more geographically relavent response as well. .. // J North London, England, UK

Reply to
Jim W

"...........After succesfully using Comfrey (Bocking variety) as a green manure, I am thinking of growing some Phacelia. I intend to sow in September, but am not sure what one does after that ! If I sow in September in the UK, roughly when can I expect the plants to flower ? .........."

Phacelia Hardy Annual Sow April germination 2 weeks, flowers june to Sept/

-- David Hill Abacus nurseries

David Hill