Old Rosemary, ivy and weeds...

Hi

I have just registered. I have a problem area in my small cottage garden. I have cut down an old rosemary plant which had got really out of hand and was very woody. I've cleared the bed as best I can but there are still lots of roots - the big rosemary one and brambles and ivy. It's very very difficult to get a fork into the soil and dig the roots out. I'm pulling as much as I can out by hand. I would like to do something with this area but really don't know how to tackle all these roots in partcular the ivy. Is it possible to post pictures on here? I took a photo today in the hope that some kind person out there will be able to make a suggestion as to what I can do with this area. Hope you can help.

Thanks a lot Patti

Reply to
PattiW

Use photobucket or one of the many other sites and then post a link.

A fork is the wrong tool.

To get out roots, dig a circle around the plant with a spade. If you can cut through the roots with the spade, you are okay. If they are too tough, dig farther from the plant. Then work the spade under the root ball and pry up.

This works better if you leave about 2 feet of the plant intact, it gives you something to grab onto and rock the plant out of the hole.

There's no doubt it's hard work, but hard work builds character.

Reply to
despen

I pulled out a rosemary bush last fall. It was over 12 years old, very woody. It was very easy to pull out by hand especially when the ground is dry. A spade fork, maddox, or crow bar will give you more leverage. A hachet can be used for larger roots. Manually remove the larger roots and vines (dead vines are easier to remove). If safe, you can use a propane torch. Ivy can be a challenge.

This is NOT a binary newsgroup and most ISPs no longer support binary files. But, you can always upload your pics to flickr or some other free site then post the links here.

Reply to
Phisherman

The best tool for removing ivy and deep rooted plants is a weed twister puller such as those made by Ergonica. I make these tools and stand behind them.

Ray

Reply to
raymuser