HELP!-novice gardener in need of advice to clear BRAMBLE ROOTS!

Hi everyone

So I have a major dilemma, last year Me and my partner cleared an area in our back garden( around 20x10ft) that was heavily densed by brambles and other forestry shrubs. We cleared it by hand as it was so thick and is also on a steep bank.

Since then the brambles have grown back, so we bought super weed killer from our local farm store and it had two doses lasts year (very strong doses I might add). So left it over winter and there coming up again! I've sprayed AGAIN but I don't hold out much hope.

The roots are so established underneath the soil I think it needs rotivating. Is this the right plan of action? There are some biggish stones under the soil too. I did think about doing it by hand but the trees behind our patch have blooming roots that come through onto our soil?!?!?

PLEASE HELP! Any advice would be appreciated greatly!!!!!

Reply to
Danniexxx

To get good advice you need to provide good information.

"super weed killer" is NOT good information. Brand name or words like Glycophosophate 41% are good information.

Roundup (glycophosphate) should do the job. Apply to leaves while the plant is growing. You may need to do this more than once. The entire plant including the roots will be killed.

Reply to
Dan Espen

What do you eventually want to grow there? All those roots are holding the soil from washing away; you don't really want to pull them out, you just think you do. You want to kill them, and replace them with some deep-rooted grass or something to hold the soil when the bramble roots eventually rot. Or else you need to terrace that area.

What exactly did you spray them with? Glyphosate (Round-up) might work, but something with Triclopyr (like Garlon, or Ortho brush killer) would be better. Glyphosate will also kill the grass, Triclopyr or 2,4-d will not. If you use 2,4-d please just spot-treat with it and don't spray the whole area.

There's an old product called "Ammate X" that works good on brush, and I think it breaks down into nontoxic nitrogen compounds that are actually good for the soil. I don't know if it's still available.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

'Zactly!

Reply to
Brooklyn1

I had the same problem on a 30+ degree slope. I pulled, and pulled as needed. It took a few years, but the survivors were dramatically fewer each year. The slope has been clear of brambles for 30 years now, and I have lately wondered if I shouldn't replant some, because I love blackberry cobblers. If you can't pull the weeds yourself, find a gardener, or some day laborers to come round to service your hillside.

Reply to
Billy