Magnolia Tree

Can anyone tell me the best time to prune my five year old Magnolia? Can I prune now? Should I wait until winter? We are warm enough so that it is an evergreen (doesn't lose leaves in the fall). I live outside of Philadelphia Pa.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Reply to
Jim Hamer

In article , snipped-for-privacy@voicenet.com says... :) Should I wait until winter? We are warm enough so that it is an :) evergreen (doesn't lose leaves in the fall). I live outside of Philadelphia :) Pa. :) :) A benefit doing it in Winter is that there isn't the insect issues that will attack open wounds of trees from trimming..though I can't think of an insect that attacks magnolias.

Reply to
Lar

February is what our extension office told me. (Of course too, I had to talk to three different people to find someone who knew). I always take what I cut off and start more trees. A pot, vermiculite, a plastic bag and some roottone.....So far, so good. I have had great success.. You will get bugs and disease if you do it now. Good luck..... Susie

Philadelphia

Reply to
<nvanco