How to "pinch" a plant

I've read numerous references to "pinching" plants. I assume this is better than cutting, because it seals the stem somewhat better. How does one actually perform the pinch? What if the stem doesn't separate with a pinching action. Can you twist it off?

Thanks again.

Reply to
Bernie

To make some plants bushy, pinch them back periodically. Use the forefingernail and thumbnail to remove the uppermost small leaves--usually two small leaves and a small stem. You could use a knife or scissors, but you will find that fingers are easy and convenient. For some plants, twisting off the top may tear the stem and that takes longer to heal and could introduce disease. If pinching doesn't cut it, then use scissors. Plants that are often piched back include arrowhead, coleus, impatiens, or rosemary, but there are many more.

Reply to
Phisherman

Many stores frown upon customers "pinching" plants because it is considered stealing.

If you get caught you could end up in worse trouble than Winona Ryder!!!

If you try to twist it off, you could hurt yourself really bad.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

"Pinching" or "pinching back" refers to mini-pruning. That is, removing the tip and a few leaves of a small plant by hand or implement to make them bushier or remove flower/seed stalks (basil). For obvious reasons, you don't "pinch back" a rose bush or an apple tree -- you prune them. You don't try and twist off branches of any size. There's nothing magic about pinching with fingernails. Scissors or clippers will do fine.

Reply to
Frogleg

I have a Schefflera Arbicola umbrella tree or I belive. Each stem has eight ovalish looking leaves. Not sure if this will come out right but below is what the leaves look like. Anyhow, please describe how this works. What is pinching? How do you do it? and When should I do it with this type of plant. ...| ..(|) .(|||) (|||||) (|||||) (|||||) (|||||) (|||||) .(|||) .(|||) ..(|) ...| ...|

Reply to
gconn77