Magnolia "tulip" tree question

I would love to plant one of those beautiful, I believe it's called Chinese magnolia trees. The blossoms I'm looking for look like masses of tulips, white inside and purple- pink outside. Can you help me? I live in Los Angeles (near LAX) and see them all over the place, but trying to find one in the nursery is tough. Went to a nursery today, no tags on the trees. Can't tell what color blooms would be.

If you have one can you share your experience with them. I would like to put one in the front yard.

Thanks for any help, Miriam

Reply to
nobodyhome1

presley

If nursery doesn't carry what you want, they can order it.

Persephone

Reply to
Aspasia

Sounds like you are talking about Liriodendron tulipifera

ncstockguy

I believe the reference is to a tree/bush that grows 10 to 20 feet, bushing almost to ground level, with the blooms on all limbs. They bloom in the spring before they put out leaves. I'd go to a private nursery instead of the big box store nursery. They'll know what they have.

On the other hand, if it's about the 60 to 80 foot tall tulip popular lumber tree, I would NOT have one on my property. Almost as messy as mimosa!

Tom J who has all the popular leaves and blooms I want blowing from 1/2 block away

Reply to
Tom J

Reply to
presley

M. soulangeana actually grows as a large shrub. It can be pruned to resemble a small tree, but that is not its natural habit of growth.

Inland (e.g., San Fernando Valley), M. soulangeana needs some protection from the summer sun. Where you live, that should not be a problem.

Note that this is a deciduous shrub, going leafless in the winter. Generally, it then blooms in the early spring, just before new leaves appear. After blooming, it's still a nice looking plant.

If you want an evergreen magnolia that is a true tree and blooms in the summer, try M. grandiflora. This is the classic southern magnolia with white flowers that grows to 80 feet.

Reply to
David Ross

nobodyhome1 schrieb:

Hello Miriam, at your place, you don't have to stick to Magnolia x soulangeana. Look for one of the newer M. campbellii hybrids from New Zealand or look for the last generation Jury hybrids. Best wishes Gotthelf

Reply to
G Wolmershäu