Beautiful tree in bloom

From the central Oregon coast. Anyone have an idea what this one is?

Thanks ahead of time!

Willie

Willie Norse

From the little bit of twig showing in the upper photo, this appears to be some form of flowering stone fruit (e.g., cherry, peach). Some flowering stone fruits do set edible fruit, but many are merely ornamental and fruitless.

Reply to
David E. Ross

"Willie Norse" wrote in news:dfCdnS9Qi_CM3NHOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Looks a lot like double-flowered plum/almond, a cultivar of Prunus triloba.

Certainly it's some sort of Prunus cultivar.

Reply to
Alfred Falk

Need a close up picture of the complete tree that depicts its growing habit... too many trees have similar blossoms.

Can't really say from your Wiki picture, it's not very clear, too far away... would be easier to ID from its leaves than its blossoms.

I have a crabapple that looks a lot like that, actually I have two of them: Cardinal Crabapple Malus 'Cardinal'.. but probably not the same. Mine have very deep purple leaves and it's easy to tell apple tree leaves from plum tree leaves... I have plum trees too. Would be even easier to narrow down an ID when it fruits. Cardinal crabapple:

Brooklyn1

My g'mother called hers Japanese flowering cherry. Sorry, I never bothered to look up the species. I remember the ground under the tree being covered by this solid pink blanket after the petals fell - one that as a kid I'd wallow in. -Not quite as comfy as diving into a big pile of raked autumn leaves, but definitely more luxuriant. At least, I *think* it's the same tree.

Reply to
Nelly W