Deer resistant perennials

Ha. I know. Deer will eat anything if they're hungry. But still, there are some plants they'll ignore if they're not so hungry. Anyone have comments about any of the plants on the list below? A gardener near my home is giving away or selling things on the list. I'm in Western NY. She's not in deer territory, so she can't be of any assistance.

$1 per plant. I see my future. Half my lawn gone by next week. :-)

Alchemilla mollis -Lady's Mantle Allium tuberosum - garlic chives, showy white flower heads great for display or cooking Allium cernuum - pink nodding umbels Aster - "Purple Dome" - purple daisy like flowers in the fall Astilboides tabularis - fabulously bold, tropicalesque foliage, huge beautiful leaves part shade to bright shade Black Eyed Susies Chaerophyllum hirsutum 'Roseum' - clouds of pink lacy umbels highlighted by ferny foliage Centaurea scabiosa - masses of purple flowers, attracts butterflies Daylillies - double orange, pink and other assorted varieties Elderberry - Ornamental Shrub "Black Lace" Eupatorium "Chocolate" - Tall masses of chocolate-purple leaves all summer followed in autumn with huge heads of small white flowers Euphorbia "Dulcis Chameleon"- Carefree plant with deepest maroon mounds of foliage. Yellow flowers with the outer bracts turning green. The more sun the deeper the foliage color. Geraniums - long prolific display of blossoms and lush foliage , easy care Geranium sanguineum - magenta flowers Geranium "Wargrave Pink", "Katherine Adele"- silvery pink flowers Geranium pretense "Hocus Pocus"- purple leaves with lavender purple flowers Geranium renardii, - Geranium renardii 'Philippe Vapelle' velvet gray green textured leaves - unusual Geranium maculatum - blue flowers from June - August Geranium "Karmina - rose colored flowers, foliage is fragrant with striking red fall color Geranium "Samobor" - scalloped leaves with large purple markings -reflexed, burgundy flower Knautia macedonica -Burgandy flowers with a very long season of flowering Lily of the Valley Lychnis coronaria Monarda fistulosa (Bee Balm)- lavender pink flowers attracts butterflies and hummingbirds Myrrhis odorata (Sweet Cicely) - elegant fern-like herb has a mounding form and anise-flavored bright-green leaves, shade tolerant Nepeta sibirica - "Souvenir d'Andre Chaudron" - Great for Hummingbirds Papaver lateritium (Poppy) - different than the oriental poppy in that it reblooms, light orange flowers in summer . Phlox - "Eva Cullum" medium pink with a dark pink eye, "Mount Fuji" white Phlomis tuberosa - Whorls of pink or flowers with large green leaves - unusual Purple Cone Flower Ravenswing - Unusual purple fern like foliage with white flowers stunning plant Siberian Iris Spiderwort (Purple) Valerian officinalis (Very fragrant) pink/white umbels on a 4' plant

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Very invasive in TN - if I had deer I'd be begging them to eat it.

Deer left them alone in VT

Reply to
kate

Can I do a deal with you for these - maybe some more interesting daylilies or sedums.

So to deer resistant - nothing truly is, but my local deer rarely bother my garden in preference to my lawn or the stands of jewel weed that dot the area.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

If by "do a deal" you mean ship them to you, I can't really help with that, Cheryl. I don't have time anytime soon for creative boxing & shipping. Maybe the lady selling them would be interested if you contact her directly.

far as daylillies & sedums, those are two plants that are pretty much worthless in my yard because of the creature snacking. I just moved a "Hyperion" daylilly inside the veg garden fence so I can finally enjoy some flowers after 4 years of deer carnage. I don't have room for any more in that part of the garden.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Deer ate phlox Deer did NOT eat daylilies geraniums garlic lily of the valley

Reply to
Phisherman

The last two: Same here.

Daylillies: They ate every flower I had.

Geraniums: We'll see. Bought two from the list above.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I just may contact her myself

Now, the deer will snack on my daylilies, but the sedums - never ever.

Cheryl Isaak

I am finishing up a full-sun stone wall and want some sedums near the top. Thanks for letting me know about the deer. Are sedums resistant to slugs/snails too?

Maybe deer have eaten my daylilies, but from the number of blooms it sure doesn't look like it.

Reply to
Phisherman