suggestions for Deer Resistant Shrub Bushes

Greetings all..... Racking my brains out over here. (small loss).

Last year I landscaped a center circle in the neighborhood cul-de-sac, using a magnolia, euonymous, plaintain hostas, gold hosta's and a variety of other flowers, both annual and perenial. Well, the out of control deer herd in this neighborhood, munched the euonymous and hostas..(and daylillies and tulips).

So I"m stuck attempting to figure out a replacement for the euonymous...

They are in a semi- circle giving balance to one half of the circle. Everything is designed to have these shrubs spaced evenly around the back end of the magnolia.

Hollies and other stickies are not appropriate as there are children present. Junipers were briefly considered but they are better for mass planting and would not look good as a single standing shrub.

Looking for something evergreen, deer resistant that coordinates with the leaf structure of the magnolia. Perhaps Nandina or Barberry. Thuja was under consideration but it just doesn't coordinate with the sweet bay magnolia.

Any suggestions for the Shrubs ?? This is zone 7A metropolitan Columbia which means temperatures go from -5 to 105, where four years of drought can be followed by two years of flooding. Area is in direct sun.

Are any hosta's deer resistant ?? I'm thinking of replacing them with Hardy Gloxina but not quite sure.

Your thoughts are appreciate !!!

Thanks !!!

ps...btw..... decided NOT to go with the rubber mulch...too many negatives. Just finished putting down shredded hardwood in the front gardens and leaf mulch in the back.

Reply to
Peter

If you find one, let me know. Whitetail deer will eat just about anything if they are hungry enough. This includes hollies, rhododendrons, azaleas, roses, and various evergreens including junipers, pines, and bald cypress. I have largely given up planting much of anything that I can't grow indoors. If I do plant something outdoors, I cage it in poultry netting. It's ugly, but it does keep Bambi and his gang at bay.

A good rifle is the only sure remedy, but the Bambi huggers and hoplophobes have made that solution unacceptable in most places.

J. Del Col

Reply to
J. Del Col

Perhaps Japanese Plum Yew, Cephalotaxus harringtonia?

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

's the Native Plant Society of Texas, but many of these plants are native to the entire United States. YMMV.

Reply to
escapee

Consider a look at Kerri Japonica. Grows like a weed here in S Jersey. USA There a a few different types too. Double, Single, Yellow or white and they are EZ to propagate.

Best

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Thanks all, for your suggestions... time to look them up.

I'll keep you posted in anything works... btw located by Baltimore, Maryland., right smack in the middle of all the concrete and asphalt which creates a strange type of micro-climate.

Thanks aga>

Reply to
Peter

Do you live in the historic section of Columbia? ;) That is my joke since Columbia was a planned community built in 1966.

Maryland has a good deer resistant plant list at:

lists includes:

Shrubs and Climbers

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi Bearberry Asimina triloba Pawpaw Berberis spp. Barberry Buxus spp. Boxwood Caryopteris x clandonensis Caryopteris Calastrus scandens American Bittersweet Cornus sericea Red Osier Dogwood Cephalotaxus harringtonia var. koreana Japanese Plum-Yew Elaeagnus angustifolia Russian Olive Gaultheria procumbens Creeping Wintergreen Gaultheria shallon Shallon Hibiscus syriacus Rose of Sharon Ilex x 'John T. Morris' John T. Morris Holly Ilex x 'Lydia Morris' Lydia Morris Hollies Leucothoe spp. Leucothoe Ligustrum vulgare European Privet Pieris japonica Japanese Andromeda Rhamnus cathartica Common Buckthorn Sambucus canadensis Blueberry Elder Sarcoccoca hookeriana var. humilis Dwarf Sweet Christmas Box

Annuals, Perennials, and Bulbs

Achillea spp. Yarrow Aconitum spp. Monkshood Ageratum houstonianum Ageratum Allium christophii Star of Persia Allium neapolitanum Daffodil Garlic Allium ostrowskianum Lily Leek Anemone x hybrida Japanese Anemone Anemonella thalictroides Rue Anemone Anethum graveolens Common Dill Aquilegia spp. Columbine Aurinia saxatilis Basket-of-Gold Antirrhinum majus Snapdragon Arabis spp. Rock-cress Arisaema triphylum Jack-in-the-Pulpit Aubrietia deltoidea Rock Cress Bergenia spp. Berginia Ceratostigma plumbaginoides Plumbago Cimicifuga racemosa Snakeroot Colchicum autumnale Colchicum Colchicum speciosum Colchicum Consolida ambigua Larkspur Convallaria majalis Lily-of-the-valley Coreopsis verticillata 'Moonbeam' Threadleaf Coreopsis Cyclamen hederifolium Neopolitan Cyclamen Dicentra spectabilis Bleeding Heart Digitalis spp. Foxglove Dryopteris marginalis Wood Fern Ecinacea purpurea Purple Coneflower Epimedium spp. Barrenwort Euphorbia spp. Euphorbia Fritillaria spp. Fritillary Galium odoratuim Sweet Woodruff Gloriosa superba Glory Lily Hemmerocallis ' Stella de Oro' Stella de Oro Daylily Hesperis matronalis Dame's Rocket Hyacinthus orientalis Hyacinth Lamium maculatum Deadnettle Lavandula spp. Lavender Linaria vulgaris Toadflax Lobularia maritima Sweet Alyssum Lychnis coronaria Rose Champion Matteuccia struthiopteris Ostrich Fern Narcissus spp. Daffodil Nicotiana spp. Flowering Tobacco Onoclea sensibilis Sensitive Fern Osmunda regalis var. spectabilis Royal Fern Pachysandra procumbens Allegheny Spurge Pachysandra terminalis Japanese Spurge Papaver orientale Oriental Poppy Pelargonium spp. Scented Geranium Pervoskia atriplicifolia Russian Sage Ranunculus spp. Buttercup Rheum rhabarbarum Rhubarb Rudbeckia spp. Coneflower Salvia spp. Sage Santolina chamaecyparissus Lavender Cotton Scilla spp. Squill Stachys byzantina Lamb's Ears Tagetes spp. Marigold Tanacetum vulgare Common Tansy Thymus spp. Thyme Tiarella cordifolia Foam Flower Tropaeolum majus Nasturtium Yucca spp. Yucca

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

FERNS!! deer will not eat fern. also...if you live in a woodsy type area, wander around and see what's growing that has not been gnawed upon by the local herd. here, in new hamster, i've noticed that deer hate the wild spirea and won't eat the cultivated ones either. they also totally avoid zizzia (golden alexanders) and wintergreen...even the berries!! (good for me cuz i love 'em) they don't seem to even want to chunk out on the huckleberries, nor the cultivated blueberry bushes.

there's a start.

Reply to
<bluesalyxx

A statement like that could only come from inbreeding.

I just moved into an area with lots of deer and so far, they don't touch the boxwoods I have everywhere. I was also told they hate geraniums.

Reply to
runswithdeer

yah, but they (whoever it was who told you) were talking about REAL geraniums, such as Cranesbill, NOT --Pelargoniums

Reply to
RAINDEAR

ah, last I checked geraniums were "real" pelargoniums....

Reply to
Louis P Quist