Help with Magnolia Tree

I'm writing from Vancouver Canada. In the courtyard of the housing co-op we have a magnolia that's been growing there for years. In the last month or so I've noticed that the leaves of the tree are yellowing and dropping off. They are everywhere.

I know nothing about the maintainance of magnolias but the full-scale shedding of leaves, at the beginning of summer can't be normal. What is wrong with the tree and what can we do about? Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
Henry Flam

Try this site:

LFR

Henry,

If the yellowing leaves are in the interior of the tree, i.e. not at the tips of the branches, this is normal shedding of three year old leaves. Look at some other magnolias in the area, you should see the same leaf yellowing and drop.

--beeky

Henry Flam wrote:

Reply to
beeky

What kind of Magnolia??? Can you post a pic?? It's hard to tackle this without more info.

Reply to
Mike LaMana

I have one in my backyard. They drop their leaves this time of year. It is their normal cycle. If you wish to trim it you should do it in February. I always take cuttings and start new trees at that time. My parents use to have a huge magnolia and the neighbors always fussed about the leaves. I guess it is just part of it. Susie in Ohio

Reply to
Watcher Mom