How do plant a tree?

I have just bought a home and am interested in planting a tree in a specific area for privacy. The problem is I have never planted anything in my life and have no idea who to even go to for help or where to "buy" a tree. Can anyone give me any pointers?

Reply to
Jeff Bello

-j

Reply to
jay

First decide what kind of tree you want and for what purpose. For example, decorative, fruit producing, evergreen, etc. Go around to your local nurseries and see what they are selling. Large trees require several strong people or a machine for planting. You can order smaller trees from mail order outlets. I would suggest an internet search for them, or check with your local botanical garden or government extension service. Planting is not that technical, but depending on the size of the tree and the kind of soil you have, it can be a rough digging experience. There are plenty of articles on the internet on that subject too. Once you know what size tree you have, you will have to start digging a hole for it. You will then discover what kind of soil you have and will have to adjust accordingly. This may all sound very general, but each environment has it's own special requirements. The basics are very much the same. Your planting location (sunny, partly sunny, shady) will also limit what kind of trees you can plant.

Sherw> I have just bought a home and am interested in planting a tree in a

Reply to
sherwindu

Also try:

sung

Reply to
Alan Sung

Green end goes up.

Sorry - it was just too easy...

- Fred #2

Reply to
Fred the Second

don't be tempted to use a fast-growing, short-lived tree. go for a quality tree that works well in your area. don't know where you are; but, in the south, the best time for planting is in the fall permitting the tree to become well-established before summer's heat.

use plenty of mulch once planted.

here's a good site.

Texas Twang

In what area are you? As some indicate, not only the variety of tree but also the time for planting it might vary according to your climate.

Do you want a small tree that will block views into (and out of) your windows or a large tree that will shade your house? Is the privacy you seek from the street, from a neighboring house, or from a hill?

Will the tree be in your lawn, flower beds, tree well in a patio, or what?

How much patience do you have? Can you accept a sapling and watch it grow, or do you need a mature tree right now?

Reply to
David Ross

"Fred the Second" wrote in news:J9fFc.12511$MB3.7629 @attbi_s04:

Planting a tree is a very sophisticated procedure and is best left to professionals.

Nut trees are the easiest. You will need a large supply of nuts and one or more squirrels or chipmunks. If you are lucky, a squirrel/chipmunk will bury a nut in the location you have selected. If the location is wrong, you will have to bribe some garden gnomes to transplant the tree in the correct location. Apparently gnomes like doing this (see other post), so if you are on good terms with them, they might even do it for free.

Fruit trees are a little more difficult, as you will need to feed fruit to a water buffalo, and most gnomes are unlikely to want to help you after the seed comes out the business end. Even if you can find some gnomes that will take the job, often they will get nauseous at the idea of being seen carrying a buffalo patty, with the end result that the top of tree snaps off. Not to worry, as the gnomes will replace the top with an equivalent gnome-make top. Often these replacement tops are superior to the original. These are called 'grafts' which is gnomish for 'giraffe' (go figure). Some unscrupulous people have been known to coat the feed fruit with bean dip just to increase their chances of getting a graft.

Privacy or shade trees are the most difficult. Planting them requires a mysterious procedure involving something called a shovel and a sapling. See "Nuts Propagating Nuts" from Funny Farm Press for a similar procedure.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

and:

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit
consumer info about tree care, visit

Babberney