Help with ID of large green leaf tree ?

Hi,

I have been trying to identify this tree which is growing in a cramped area in the back of my yard in Massachusetts. I tried a few online sites, but couldn't find any leafs like this one.

leaves are ~ 12" long. We've only noticed this type of tree once before in the area (in the Providence zoo).

Any help is appreciated. We are trying to figure out what type of tree to plant for shade, and find this one very interesting (and think it might provide good shade, while still keeping an open feel).

Thanks,

Chris

Reply to
chris_290

Maybe Big Leaf Magnolia, Magnolia macrophylla? Here's a link:

saw one in bloom at a local display garden. It was magnificent, with flowers about 12" across. The leaves aren't like other magnolias, being a lot thinner, a lighter shade of green and they aren't at all waxy looking.

Alana Gibson

Reply to
Alana Gibson

If you identification is correct, here is what Sunset says: deciduous slow growing to 30 ft spreads to 20 ft blooms when 12-15 years old fragrant white flowers as much as 16 inches across in late spring or early summer (after leafing out)

Reply to
David E. Ross

I tend to agree with the Magnolia suggestion but from the photo I have not completely ruled out PawPaw, Asimina triloba.

Reply to
Backburner

Reply to
beeky

Thanks everyone for the help ! I now know what type of tree we are hoping to get (or to move from the corner of the backyard) - though I will have to be careful it won't be in too sunny a spot.

I couldn't get closer pictures of the tree I posted the initial photo of, but I did get some closer up shots of the one in my yard. They are slightly different - but probably closely related.

I don't need any feedback on these, just wanted to put these out there as you've all been helpful, and seem to enjoy this :)

Chris

(The first two are the tree from the providence zoo, 3, 4 and 5 are from the > It's Magnolia tripetala.

Reply to
chris_290