Legal/Ethical Dilemma?

All right, I was being over-critical. Yes, I know what "eyesore" means. It means something that does no actual harm but that one prefers not to look at. Part of the compromises we make in living around other people is realizing not all of them are exactly the same, and some are *bound* to do things that annoy others. Local codes generally prohibit conditions that are noxious or dangerous. I very much doubt that storing a canoe outside is one of them.

You asked if you were wrong in considering them "cranky". I think you were. If they'd wanted you to plan their landscaping, they would have asked. If you'd said when you planted it, "I want to plant this along the fence, and it may intrude on your property. Are you OK with this if I keep it trimmed?" I feel confident they would have been perfectly satisfied, even pleased. If they were "cranky," they would have yanked up the plants by the roots.

That is, their "eyesore" caused you nothing but aesthetic pain, while your plants have become a very real nuisance to them.

Reply to
Frogleg

Hanging out laundry is a Good Thing in every way. It's ecologically sound, taking nothing more than solar energy to accomplish its purpose. It's thrifty. It's better for most fabrics. And laundry smells good and fresh with no additives. And yes, many people continue to use clotheslines if at all possible.

Reply to
Frogleg

In this case, yes, they *are* being over-picky. A reasonable person doesn't expect anyone to control where leaves drop or shade falls. In most places, they are legally entitled to trim tree branches that overhang their property, but not require that you regulate the wind and sun.

Reply to
Frogleg

It's also an opportunity for unique play experiences. We used to hang towels outside in the winter. Of course, they'd be stiff as cardboard in a matter of minutes, and the kids thought that was the most amazing thing in the world.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

Cheryl, are you talking about Rochester, NH? Our home in Maine is just over the border, in Lebanon, Maine. Hubby grew up in E. Rochester.

Reply to
Ann

Doug K is in Rochester NY - if he's in the NH one, I'm in trouble! LOL

I'm about 10 miles over the NH/MA border on 93.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

You're safe. I'm in Rochester NY. :)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

For now! ;) Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

I think you are being too hard on the neighbors. The original poster has planted an invasive weed (weed being a relative term -- I love my morning glories) that she happens to like, but which is invading into her neighbors property and destroying their garden. They were appropriate in broaching the subject and providing an alternative to killing the weed.

The original poster doesn't have a legal leg to stand on, and frankly, it is not "neighborly" to plant invasive plants at a boundary and expect your neighbors to suck it up when they invade.

The neighbors are not obligated to spend their time cleaning up after the poster, and it is silly to expect them to.

Some years ago, I had an apple tree that had grown large and had branches that overhung my neighbors yard. Every year, it would drop many, many apples onto their yard where they rotted and caused problems with lawn maintenance. My neighbors, quite appropriately, asked me to fix this, and I did.

The poster should realize that not everybody is obliged to share her taste in invasive plants, and make sure that she stops imposing on her neighbors.

billo

Reply to
Bill Oliver