Legal/Ethical Dilemma - FINI

I decided to post this in a new thread because I didn't want it to get lost in the old one.

This will be my last post on the subject, and I just wanted to thank everyone for responding.

I have limited experience with neighbors, as I lived at my parents home until I was in my mid-20s, and at my new home ever since. My parents had teh same neighbors throughout those 20+ years, and they were all very easy-going. They would never object to vines infringing on their property. (They were also avid gardeners).

Likewise, my neighbors at my new home have been the same people until these new neighbors moved in four years ago. The previous neighbors - and the ones who border the other sides of my property were also very easy-going and would not object to such a thing. (In fact, one of them has vines growing on

*my* chain link fence that we share, and I gladly trim them when required.)

Anyway, I guess it is my limited experience with neighbors that led me to believe that these new neighbors would not object to the vines, and made me consider them to be unreasonable in their stance.

I believe most people agreed with me that the neighbors are over-reacting, but the other side has been well-represented too. Enough people wrote in to defend my neighbors' point of view that I have to reconsider their 'crankness' as being a bit more 'normal' than I originally thought. Thanks to those who presented the opposing view, as it was a learning experience for me.

I will trim the vines for the neighbors, and if they have any more objections, I will take them down. But at that point I will reconsider my friendliness with them, and keep them at arms-length. It is still my opinion that friends should be a bit more accomodating. If they prefer to be neighbors instead of friends, so be it.

Thanks again for all your responses. I have learned a lot from all of you.

Michelle

PS - You've got to admit that this topic sparked a lot of participation and some interesting debate! ;-)

Reply to
Michelle C

It could always be worse. For 18 years, I lived across the street from a family of morons who honked their car horns whenever the left or came home. The time of day was no issue, either. 2:00 AM, 7:00 AM....didn't matter. You can steal my car, but wake me up for stupid reasons and there will be trouble. Tried talking to them politely a couple of times. In both instances, I was told that "my father did it, and we like to do it, too. Get over it." The cops were no help, even when it was explained to them that the noise was, at times, a violation of noise ordinances. After 5 go-arounds with the cops, I went so far as to ask the police chief how much he was being paid to ignore the situation. He found that question distasteful, but refused to explain why nothing was done. It was never resolved.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

A decent plan. If they demand more and more of this or that, let it go. That makes it about power, not vines.

Reply to
James

Reply to
Robert Chambers

Unbelievable how long this thread has gone and sorry to prolong it, but it brings to mind a similar issue with a neighbor of mine. They planted black currants not knowing that these plants can cause a disease in white pines (white pine blister), and possibly take out my white pine. They claim they got the currants from a friend who says they

are a disease resistant variety, but who knows. If I wait for signs of disease on my pine tree, it may be too late to save it. Who said gardening was an uncomplicated and relaxing pastime? Sherwin D.

Michelle C wrote:

Reply to
sherwindu

Hypodermic needle, salt water, goodbye currants. :)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

The first time I became familiar with rocket propelled grenades was when my son brought home a video game. I looked out the window and the dreams began. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I saw it coming and moved to 10 acres years ago so I can plant pretty much what I please, pee in the front yard, and generally ignore and chuckle over suburbian problems. The only problem is that suburbia is catching up to me. But that 10 acre buffer zone makes a big difference. It was worth the longer drive to work but it doesn't seem all that long now.

Reply to
James