Legal/Ethical Dilemma?

Ok!

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

BTW - is it snowing there! Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

"Jeana" wrote : I think the gracious thing to do is take the vine out. It doesn't really matter which one of you is the crank. ;)

Personally I think that's overdoing it. If Michele enjoys the vine, she should keep it. As it was suggested before, I wouldn't go on their property to trim it. If it can't be trimmed from her own side, then they obviously have the right to trim it themselves from their side. Let them do it.

Bonnie

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

Illegal here (Rochester NY), and probably most other places, too. If the building inspector stopped by to see if the structure matched the permit, she'd be forced to take down the fence, or paint it herself.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It's stupid here. Stupid weather. A few days ago, we had slush/rain, which froze on the ground on irregular lumps that make it impossible to go for a good walk unless you wear ice cleats. It snowed on top of that, thereby making it harder to spot the ice. Today, it's supposed to reach the 50s, low

60s tomorrow, which is perfect trout fishing weather. But noooooooo...I have to work. Just in time for the weekend, the temps will plunge into the 20s with snow.
Reply to
Doug Kanter

Hi Salty,

I have a funny story about fence-paining that happened to a friend of mine. It was a feuding-neighbor scenario, and my friend put up a six-foot privacy fence as a solution. But rather than paint the neighbor's side a flourescent color, my friend chose to paint it the same color as his side. (His goal was not to do his neighbor a favor, but to properly seal the fence to increase its longevity).

The neighbor was on vacation on painting day, and so my friend and his helpers thought they would have a little fun as they painted. They painted a bunch of expletives on the neighbor's side first - before painting it in earnest. The only problem was that when the painting was done, the expletives showed through. They had to give the fence three additional coats to cover up all the swear words before the neighbor returned. It was a lot of extra work, but they learned from it. They still laugh about it to this day.

Reply to
Michelle C

The message from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

I'd like them back, please, Doug.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

No! :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Sorry you don't get it. These ARE Mickey Mouse games. They were started by her neighbor by complaining about a silly vine that occasionaly chokes a flower or two. Michelle took the bait and is pondering trimming his side of the fence. This legal/ethical dilemma is so miniscule it is laughable. It is merely a neighborhood disagreement which can be resolved . I see no reason to make federal case out of it. Michelle has many options here. From removing the vine and awarding the victory to her neighbor to not removing the vine and say nothing when he pulls another stunt to aggravate her. That seems to be what this is all about. It has nothing to do with the vine in his mind. It has to do with winning something.

Life is too short to waste over minutia like this. If I were her, I'd forget the entire ethics and legalities over this and get on with life. So her neighbor may do something to piss her off over the vine. So bloody what? Move on, forget the creep and don't invite Ma and Pa Kettle over for drinks any more.

Some neighbors go out of their way to tick off other neighbors. It gets them off to compensate for their failures.

Reply to
James

Reply to
Lady Blacksword

Bonny, You sound like the type of neighbor I am used to (before these people moved in.)

I just remembered that they have a lilac bush that overhangs my fence. I wonder if I should pick the flowers myself, or order them to trim it so that it doesn't hang over my property?

(I think I'll pick them. I love lilacs.)

Reply to
Michelle C

You're in Rah-cha-cha - we have a good friend leaving there to move to NH. Why not you too! Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Ah Janet - you've made my heart ache. I miss that smell and only a dingy dank back yard to hang laundry with out offending the fashion police of the neighborhood.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

My neighbor is at the foot of a huge retaining wall "cliff" & years ago he planted a row of lilacs trees down there. They now have their tops above the retaining wall, so up here on top it's like I have a little hedgerow of white, blue, and pale blue lilacs. I really appreciate them.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

You too - sigh - the scent of lilacs is just one of the most wonderful there is.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Well, thanks. You only imagine I'm sorta normal because you don't know me. I am fortunate that all my neighbors are pretty normal.

I just remembered that they have a lilac bush that overhangs my fence. I wonder if I should pick the flowers myself, or order them to trim it so that it doesn't hang over my property?

(I think I'll pick them. I love lilacs.)

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

The moment my son goes to college, I'm free to move. Until then.....yawn.....

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Especially if you put the florets in your hair.

Hey....who said that? Catch that guy! He went down the alley!

Reply to
Doug Kanter

:)

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

I liked Rochester - nice city! But better gardening here!

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak