I Need a Squirrel and Possum Repellant?

I have a problem with some kind of critter, I think it must be either a squirrel or possum, that is devouring my tomatoes. They are even eating them while they are green little babies. Does any one know what kind of repellant really works? I have heard that fox urine and capsicum (hot peppers) are common repellants, but do they actually work?

Reply to
Doug Parent

Perry Templeton

Blood meal is supposed to work with squirrels. I don't know about possums. Dora2

Reply to
Bungadora

You are lucky. We have raccoons and skunks. They are both quite fearless. The raccoons are destructive for everything.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

fox or dog urine might work, but you'd have to reapply it daily. some people swear by ammonia, which is a component of urine, and is probably easier to acquire than fox urine.

personally, i just let my dogs scare them away. they got a gopher today, so i guess they're earning their keep.

-kelly

Reply to
culprit

The small Havahart wire traps are a sure fix for Possums. Put an apple in it and set it out at night. You'll have your Possum in the morning if that is the responsible varmint. Animal control will come out to retrieve it for free.

Reply to
Blue

I cover my tomato plants with a nylon mesh net. Not only does it protect my tomatoes from critters; but also birds. You can buy them at either Walmart or Kmart in their garden center.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Edwards

An electric fence is the only sure fire repellent that works, and it's a lot cheaper in the long run than all of the spray concoctions that don't really work.

Reply to
Sunflower

MANY cities have ordinances that prohibit the use of electric fences so that isn't always a solution.

Reply to
Bill R

capsicum (hot peppers) certainly work with squirrels. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

Do not waste your money on repellants; trap them and dispose of them, shooting them in the trap if necessary. Do not waste gasoline going somewhere else to drop them; it is like pressing on a balloon and another will take its place.

Reply to
redclay

Well when I read this post this morning I thought you were a bit harsh with respect to our little fluffy tailed co-inhabitors of the earth, but I came home from the hardware store I found the little f*****s had chewed my only red sunflower off at the base of the stem. Now I think shooting and drowning is too good for them. Dora2

Reply to
Bungadora