Drowning houseplant

Hello,

I have a big plant (ressembling a schefelra, but it's not) that i overwatered. What actually happened is that there were small rocks on top of the soil and it prevented humidity to get out.

I removed the stones and placed the plant outside 2 weeks ago. It has not been watered, except for occasionnal rain, and it's still very much wet and drowning. The plant is losing leaves by the ton and I'm afraid it's dying.

What can I do to save it? Will removing some of the top soil help?

Thanks.

Reply to
Helene

Removing some soil won't help it. Leave it outside and put it where it won't get any rain. Let it dry out. Sounds like there is not enough aeration in the soil. You should probably repot it using a good light weight potting soil. I always add extra perlite to help drainage and so the roots can breath. 1 part perlite to every 2 parts potting soil.

Reply to
Tom Randy

Give the plant to someone who is competent to take care of it.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

If it's still wet and drowning, have you tried tipping it on it's side to let the water drain off? Or drilling some drainage holes in the pot, if it doesn't have them?

steve

Reply to
Steve Wolfe

That was rude, dumb, and unnecessary. Everybody makes mistakes. Fuck you!

Reply to
Helene

My, what a sensitive clueless little twit you are!!

An inept goof like you should be used to being criticized for constantly screwing up the simplest things!!!

You are not even remotely qualified to be posing as the spokesperson for everybody.

Tell us, do you treat your pets and children as badly as you do your plants or were they already taken away from you?

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Repot it with light soil. Drill more holes on the bottom/side. Stick a pipe with small holes to the pot bottom. Put it in a place with good air circulation.

Moving a house plant from inside to outside would cause leaves dropping even with a health plant. You might have a plant with wet feet and burned leaves.

Reply to
Karen

Like I said, there is no way this person is going to save the plant. Everything they did made the situation worse. They should give the plant over to a competent person who has enough sense and experience to grow plants without tormenting them.

I certainly hope they don't have any children or pets. Can you just imagine what they might be going through?

Reply to
Cereus-validus

....because many plants say "WTF.....the light's different here all of a sudden...." They can't get a tan, so they grow new leaves to adjust. (In case Helene was wondering....).

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Real scientific there, Goober.

Did you decide WTF when you posted that pearl or was that your attempt to dumb it down to the level Hellion might comprehend?

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Actually, it's 100% accurate. What's wrong with you today? Did ol' yeller die, or is your sister withholding the shaky pudding again?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

i know agassi plays like a houseplant nowadays, but do you think that would help his game at all?

btw, got my $100 yet karen? i take paypal.

bob

Reply to
bob

Not even close.

Someone left my cake out in the rain. I don't think that I can take it because it took so long to bake it and I'll never have that recipe again!

Oh, no!

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Wow, what an ass you are. You must be really miserable in life to have this much contempt for people you don't even know.

Reply to
Helene

Dear asshole,

He actually dumbed it down just for your posting pleasure. And if you think I'm stupid, you are sadly mistaken.

Reply to
Helene

Wow, what an ass you are. You must be really miserable in life to have this much contempt for people you don't even know.

Reply to
Helene

Hello again, asshole.

For your information, I do have pets and they are very healthy. I also have several other plants that are thriving. My plant is far from beign tormented. It's just a plant.

You, on the other hand, must be really frustrated with your life to be this insensitive. You seriously need to get laid.

Reply to
Helene

Hey so do I! Is that an invitation? ;-)

This guy is a moron, put him in your kill file and be done with him, less aggravation that way.

John

Reply to
John Watson

Get a clue, Sweetpea.

I'm not the numbskull that is killing the plant.

You are, you rectum.

If you want sympathy, go write dear Abby.

You are just wasting everyone's time here.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

You just aren't smart enough to be stupid.

Maybe you torment the plant because you know its much brighter than you and you're jealous?

Reply to
Cereus-validus