Too much rain, banana trees drowning

The rain has been nice, bringing the temperature down, but, the Banana trees were drowning so I dug them up and brought them inside. Banana roots are a big bulb, and half of one broke off and doesn't seem to have bothered it. I planted the broke part in potting soil and a shoot is growing out so I might get another plant out of it. The others are doing better. They have a greener color and are growing good. I think I'll keep them indoors through the winter and see how they are next spring.

The Japanese Timber Bamboo is doing well. This is the northern edge of they're recommended zone so I hope they make it through the winter.

Mysterious Traveler

Reply to
Mysterious Traveler

Where bananas are grown here commercially a high rainfall subtropical area is prefered. The prized plantations are on fertile soil with a slope for drainage, in some cases quite steep slopes are planted. It seems better drainage outweighs ease of access.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

What part of the world are you located in?

Out here in West Texas we don't have many hills and don't usually have to worry about good drainage for plants, except for times when we get more rain than average.

These banana plants are supposed to be able to withstand cold winters in this area, I hope they do, next year after they get bigger and stronger and I plant them outside again.

Mysterious Traveler

Reply to
Mysterious Traveler

East coast of Australia north of Newcastle, about zone 9. The region I have seen the bananas growing is north of here round Coffs Harbour which is about zone 10.

Reply to
David Hare-Scott