Banana Trees

I have 2 dwarf banana trees about 2' tall. Both of them put out new leaves like crazy. However after only a few days, the leaves crack, and turn brown/black. Consequently, I am not getting any long-term leaves.

The trees are outside right now. I am in Zone 6a (Kentucky). We have had lots of mid-70 days, but some nights in the mid to upper 40s. I'm thinking this might be the problem. In just the past few days, the weather seems to have stabalized and actually hit the warmer Spring temps. Now we're in to upper 70 days and mid-60 nights.

Any thoughts?

Captain Ed

Reply to
Ed

Bananas don't grow on trees.

Reply to
Sheldon

I can see that you and symplastless have much in common.

Bananas are tropical/subtropical plants. The coolest place they are grown commercially (just as a measure of suitability) here is on frost-free regions near the coast in zone 10 and that is not optimal. Although growing in cooler zones is possible if you baby them and you don't expect to get good fruit. By that I mean put them in full sun in the warmest spot you have, protect from frost and maybe grow only in the warmer months. I infer that you have had them indoors, perhaps you put them out too soon or the indoor spot just got too cold. Growing them outdoors in zone 6a will be a challenge. Good luck.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

So what do they grow on?

Reply to
J. Clarke

They grow on a stalk, that is the size of a small tree, that withers and collapses when the plant goes dormant after harvest. My brother gets minimal results in zone 10b. I'll see if I can't get his advice, but just off hand it sounds like you need a green house or a tent.

Reply to
Billy

They are a herbaceous plant with many fibrous roots like grass, not like a tree with a taproot and woody trunk The main structure that looks like a trunk is more like a rolled up bunch of leaves and it's called a pseudostem. But when you are having problems growing them in zone 6a that fact is just pseudo-relevant.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

There are some years my banana occasionally flower and start little banana's, but I can tell you they do NOT like winds, especially those hot winds we get in Texas. The floliage splits like yours is doing. So, grow them in full sun, but out of the way of wind if you can do it.

Reply to
Jangchub

Huh? I don't know any "symplastless". What is so difficult for you to comprehend about the fact that bananas do not grow on trees? Are you legitimately mentally deficient or do you naturally portray an anal sphincter... someone who can't decide on their own name must be both... WTF is a Hare-Scott... I mean besides a pointy headed imbecile.

Reply to
Sheldon

Oh goody, we're doing names again. Now that we have that out of the way, what is your problem with the name Christian? Inquiring minds and all that sort of thing, don't you just know;o))

Reply to
Billy

I do keep them in a greenhouse during the cold months. Inside temps never got below 52 degrees. I just recently moved them outside. The leaves were splitting and turning black even in the greenhouse.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

As you don't know him Symplastless could be a pillar of usenet society and a font of growing and gardening wisdom.

There is nothing at all difficult to understand about bananas not growing on trees. Out of curiosity why did you bring it up?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Your mommy named you willy but you hate your mommy so you call yourself baby name billy... infantile billy babu!

Reply to
Sheldon

Somebody want to call the rubber truck, Shelly is loose again;o)

Reply to
Billy