Tomatoe blight

No tomatoes this year :(

Wiped out the cherry tomato plants and the larger varieties aren't producing much of anything. Two different nurseries and the same results. Looking it up on the net evidently its the same fungus that caused the Irish potato famine.

Everything else (except cabbage, lost 1/2 the plants, no roots? ) is doing well at least. Cucumbers coming out our ears. Peppers and onions doing great.

From SW PA

John

Reply to
John

[snip]

My condolences!

No roots? Perhaps cabbage root maggots? If so, next year you should cover them with a floating row cover to keep the bugs away - at least until they get big and tough enough to withstand the onslaught.

HTH-

Reply to
Frank Miles

Dead or just distressed?

My tomatoes got hit with leaf spot (Septoria). I *think* I've treated it with copper sulfate, but a look two days after (when the weather turned sunny) says it is pretty far along. I'll lose 2/3

- 3/4 of the current leaves. Hoping that an otherwise vigorous variety will rebound.

I'll know better in about a month.

That's Late Blight. Apparently, this is the time of overlap of Early Blight and Late Blight. Reading says that Late Blight is nastier.

As yet (to my knowledge) I haven't had to deal with either.

Of course, this is also my first year for Tomato Leaf Spot. So who knows what the future will bring me?

I have one tiny cucumber from 3 cages (~4 vines/cage). But lots of new blossoms. I'm hoping for a first batch of dill pickles, and a refresher of dill relish.

Western Ohio (Dayton-ish).

Reply to
Drew Lawson

I got some new cherry tomato plants (also Sweet 100) from the original nursery after complaining and buying some zuc plants to put in their place. They already have tomatoes started and really long straight stems. The owner recommended in future that I prune the plant so that no leaves can possibly touch the ground before actually planting them in the garden. Sounds like a plan except that the plants are really tiny,

6" or less, when you buy them (in late May for this area) so that could be a PITA until you can put them into the ground. When I retire in a year or so maybe I will have the time to baby things along.

I have no idea what happened to the cabbage plants that grew no roots but the others are doing well and should be ready mid/late fall - just in time for fresh cabbage soup :) My mother passed on a great recipe for it that came from her mother who emigrated from Eastern Europe. The first cold weekend of the year is ideal for home made soup, especially if most of the ingredients come from your garden. :)

Cukes, zucs, peppers, onions and really everything else is doing great so I guess I shouldn't complain.

John

Reply to
John

As a followup some of the tomato plants rebounded, horribly gnarled stems and all, and are actually producing a lot of fruit, all getting ripe at the same time of course! The large tomatoes are actually very tiny, about golf ball sized (?) but pretty good eating.

Hungarian wax hot peppers just love it here, canned 24 quarts of pepper rings yesterday. Still plenty out there but need a few more weeks to get large enough to pick. I only put in 4 dozen plants and should get that many quarts when done. We have also made a pepper, olive, garlic & spice mix in oil. Great as a side with a lunch time sandwich.

Bell peppers doing very well too but not quite ready yet. Best (I think) when the fruit just begins to turn red, a good mix of crisp green & sweet red.

Cukes & zucs are done except for some late planted zucs just beginning to produce.

The few onions I planted are either gone for green onions or overgrown by other plants. What is left I will leave to winter after the peppers are done and the plants pulled.

A small garden in SW PA,

John

Reply to
John