Lousy year

ATC, this was a loser in terms of edible goodies. Most tomato plants afflicted with ? (Billy diagnosis). Few fruits before disaster struck.

Sowed 20 Tuscan Melon seeds. All but one plant disappeared after emerging. Remaining one not looking too enthusiastic.

Green onions(planted last year!) almost all eaten, but remainder coming along slowwwwwly. Some new ones germinating!

Regular strawberries doing almost zilch. Several new Fraises du Bois producing a few tiny jewels with indescribable taste (wipes mouth).

Most corn did not germinate -- three different packets. A few ears limping toward edibility.

Sowed cucumbers twice - different packets, different times. All germinated, but didn't get past baby stage before giving up the ghost.

Only thing doing well is String Beans. Neighbors run when they see me coming bearing beans...

Other OK is large store-planted can w/3 Red Bell plants. X fingers!

Next year? Why bother. If plant at all, stick to old reliables like carrots, green onions, radishes -- basic stuff.

Sigh! Climate change? Angry deities?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I am having strange luck with cucumbers this year.

I got a little late of a start with the first plantings, and a way late start with the rest. When I did the first plantings, I seeded two cages worth of cucumbers. One cage never had any sprouts. The other had some sprouts, and all but two died. Those two have barely grown at this point (8-10? weeks).

The second plantings, from the same seed packet, and only 10-15 feet away are going great. No harvest yet, since they were planted even later. But a fair number of little things that appear to have been pollinated.

I had to borrow the cages from the first plantings to use on the second, and I don't see a reason to hurry in making replacements.

Sun/water/feeding are the same. The thriving vines are actually

*closer* to the neighbor's walnut tree. My only guess is that I have some pathogen in the soil at the one end that isn't at the other. I need to figure out better rotations for next year, expecially since the tomatoes I grow are not resistant varieties.
Reply to
Drew Lawson