BIG Squirrel problems

Hi, I am having some BIG squirrel problems with those guys digging in my plant containers. I also think they are multiplying like rabbits, so there are lots of them. I have tried using Cayenne pepper, but it seems they just love the stuff, since the container soil gets churned up all over. Maybe I am not using the right brand? What next? mini land mines - just kidding :-) Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Daniel

Chicken wire and rocks are your friends. Cut it into creative shapes to cover the soil, but make sure that you make pieces that can be removed without ripping the plants. Lay it flat on the soil, cover with soil to make it invisible, and weigh down with an appropriate size rock. Some plants eventually get big enough and develop a deep enough root system that some digging won't bother them at all. At that point, you can take out the chicken wire, if it bothers you.

Chicken wire's also great for keeping those $&@)! lawn rats from digging up bean & corn seeds before they sprout.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Ohhhhhhh.... chicken wire! I had thought of some type of screen for a last resort - maybe this it it.

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Daniel

This works,,I have tried it.

Reply to
luriko

DA>From: "Daniel"

DA>Hi, DA> I am having some BIG squirrel problems with those guys digging in my plant DA>containers. I also think they are multiplying like rabbits, so there are lot DA>of them. I have tried using Cayenne pepper, but it seems they just love th DA>stuff, since the container soil gets churned up all over. Maybe I am not us DA>the right brand? What next? mini land mines - just kidding :-) Thanks, DA>Dan

Google for some coyote urin. Placed at the four courners (and maybe the the mid-points if your area is lard enough 8-( will remind them of their natural enemy and send them off to forage in your neighbors.

Ciao, Ack

Reply to
THURSTON.ACKERMAN

Maybe I'll try that coyote urine thing too! I have similar problems with squirrels eating the tops off my new plants. Also later in the season, they like to eat (or take bites out of) my tomatoes, squash, and even the hot peppers. I've tried a variety of "nice" and "not-so-nice" approaches, but nothing has worked so far. I put chicken wire down to keep the cats (including my own) from digging up my newly planted rows, but the squirrels don't seem to mind crawling over the wire to chomp on my veggies. It's looking like, since I'd get arrested for firing a shotgun in the neighborhood, my alternatives are boiling down to live traps and free rides down the road for the little %$#@!s. Gary

Reply to
Gary

--------------------------------- I have a friend who uses those motion activated water sprayers the pond people use. She claims it keeps the squirrels, possums and coons out of their small veggie garden.

Kitty

Reply to
Kitty O'Reilly

Thanks, Kitty - That sounds easier than going shopping for coyote pee! :) Gary

Reply to
Gary

Yea, is sure is hard to chase down those coyotes with a bucket under your arm :-)

Dan

Reply to
Daniel