High Desert

It's funny in a way, I'm the son of a truck driver and if I ever wanted to do it, I could out cuss just about anyone, but I've chosen for the most part not to do that. There have been times when anyone within hearing range got their ears burned, like the time some lowlife #%i0($#()#*@(@#(@)@$_%_)#+$#++# broke into a trailer I lived in down in Ramona, CA back in 87 and ripped off my Topcon Super D camera and a bunch of drepression glass I was collecting. I've replaced the camera with another Topcon Super D, but the glassware is mostly out of my range now.

Reply to
Starlord

It was not my operation, as a member of the armed forces of the USA, I went where I was ordered to go. And since it was the VC/NVA who used the WP, because his father ( who the VC KILLED ) wouldn't supply them with rice and what else they did to the people of that MY village, the vc should have been blown to bits. BTW, in Vietnam, the Mountainyard people are less than nothing to the vietnamese, the MY's have been around far longer than the others and they have no rights at all. I'd be very surprised if there's many of them left over there.

You sound just like others I've heard over the years, and as far as I care, you could take a flying leap into the lava lake in the Hawaii Volcano.

Reply to
Starlord

Integrated? Boy that's a word out of the past. I was born in South Dakota, Ann. I couldn't tell you a thing about it. I grew up in Brooklyn, NY. Go to East New York and hang on the corner for a bit. See the trouble.

Yeah, people are people unless they are integrated. I'd venture to guess nobody in Newton failed their SATs.

escape

A thought to interject. Please keep in mind my husband fought in VN, time frame - Saigon during the Tet Offensive - and we've both been back to country since the end of the American War (as they call it). If America's real concern was Vietnamese freedom and democracy, why didn't we help them oust the French instead of engaging in a war that resulted in millions of Vietnamese deaths, not to mention 50-some thousand of our own? While I understand your feelings about them, the welfare of the Montaniards, I'm afraid, played no part in what this war was about. Let's recall a little history.

Interesting thing that seems to be forgotten is that Ho Ho Ho Chi Minh originally sought America's support in gaining liberty from French colonialists. Ho wanted to set up a democratic government. He drafted a declaration of indepence based on the American model. I've posted it below. I bet most Americans have never read it but I hope you will.

Instead, Woodrow Wilson chose to support France, Ho turned to the USSR for military and financial aid and eventually ousted the French leaving a civil struggle between communist Ho and monarchist Bao Di. The Geneva Conference of 1954 partitioned Vietnam with Ho in charge in the north and Bao Di in the south (then Diem after Di's monarchy was subsequently abolished), and elections were scheduled for 1956 to unify the country based on a popular vote.

The "Domino Theory" and the cold War drove American decisions. Eisenhower, who was now supporting Diem, was afraid a popular election would result in favor of the communists (Ho's distribution of land to the people of the north would make him the popular choice) so the election was never held. By this time Khrushchev and Kennedy had become engaged in political battle with the threat of nuclear war erupting between the USSR and the US; a strategic decision was made to engage the USSR in conventional battle in Vietnam rather than allow a nuclear conflict to erupt, which could bring the calamity to our own doorstep. The Vietnamese civil war thus became a pressure valve for tensions building as a result of the US-USSR power struggle.

President Ho Chi Minh delivering his address in Hanoi on 2 September 1945.

(SEPTEMBER 2, 1945)

"All men are created equal. They are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness"

This immortal statement was made in the Declaration of Independence of the United States of America m 1776. In a broader sense, this means: All the peoples on the earth are equal from birth, all the peoples have a right to live, to be happy and free.

The Declaration of the French Revolution made in 1791 on the Rights of Man and the Citizen also states: "All men are born free and with equal rights, and must always remain free and have equal rights." Those are undeniable truths.

Nevertheless, for more than eighty years, the French imperialists, abusing the standard of Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity, have violated our Fatherland and oppressed our fellow-citizens. They have acted contrary to the ideals of humanity and justice. In the field of politics, they have deprived our people of every democratic liberty.

They have enforced inhuman laws; they have set up three distinct political regimes in the North, the Center and the South of Vietnam in order to wreck our national unity and prevent our people from being united.

They have built more prisons than schools. They have mercilessly slain our patriots- they have drowned our uprisings in rivers of blood. They have fettered public opinion; they have practised obscurantism against our people. To weaken our race they have forced us to use opium and alcohol.

In the fields of economics, they have fleeced us to the backbone, impoverished our people, and devastated our land.

They have robbed us of our rice fields, our mines, our forests, and our raw materials. They have monopolised the issuing of bank-notes and the export trade.

They have invented numerous unjustifiable taxes and reduced our people, especially our peasantry, to a state of extreme poverty.

They have hampered the prospering of our national bourgeoisie; they have mercilessly exploited our workers.

In the autumn of 1940, when the Japanese Fascists violated Indochina's territory to establish new bases in their fight against the Allies, the French imperialists went down on their bended knees and handed over our country to them.

Thus, from that date, our people were subjected to the double yoke of the French and the Japanese. Their sufferings and miseries increased. The result was that from the end of last year to the beginning of this year, from Quang Tri province to the North of Vietnam, more than two rnillion of our fellow-citizens died from starvation. On March 9, the French troops were disarmed by the lapanese. The French colonialists either fled or surrendered, showing that not only were they incapable of "protecting" us, but that, in the span of five years, they had twice sold our country to the Japanese.

On several occasions before March 9, the Vietminh League urged the French to ally themselves with it against the Japanese. Instead of agreeing to this proposal, the French colonialists so intensified their terrorist activities against the Vietminh members that before fleeing they massacred a great number of our political prisoners detained at Yen Bay and Cao Bang.

Not withstanding all this, our fellow-citizens have always manifested toward the French a tolerant and humane attitude. Even after the Japanese putsch of March 1945, the Vietminh League helped many Frenchmen to cross the frontier, rescued some of them from Japanese jails, and protected French lives and property.

From the autumn of 1940, our country had in fact ceased to be a French colony and had become a Japanese possession.

After the Japanese had surrendered to the Allies, our whole people rose to regain our national sovereignty and to found the Democratic Republic of Vietnam.

The truth is that we have wrested our independence from the Japanese and not from the French

The French have fled, the Japanese have capitulated, Emperor Bao Dai has abdicated. Our people have broken the chains which for nearly a century have fettered them and have won independence for the Fatherland. Our people at the same time have overthrown the monarchic regime that has reigned supreme for dozens of centuries. In its place has been established the present Democratic Republic.

For these reasons, we, members of the Provisional Government, representing the whole Vietnamese people, declare that from now on we break off all relations of a colonial character with France; we repeal all the international obligation that France has so far subscribed to on behalf of Vietnam and we abolish all the special rights the French have unlawfully acquired in our Fatherland.

The whole Vietnamese people, animated by a common purpose, are determined to fight to the bitter end against any attempt by the French colonialists to reconquer their country.

We are convinced that the Allied nations which at Tehran and San Francisco have acknowledged the principles of self-determination and equality of nations, will not refuse to acknowledge the independence of Vietnam.

A people who have courageously opposed French domination for more than eighty years, a people who have fought side by side with the Allies against the Fascists during these last years, such a people must be free and independent.

For these reasons, we, members of the Provisional Government of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam, solemnly declare to the world that Vietnam has the right to be a free and independent country, and in fact it is so already. The entire Vietnamese people are determined to mobilise all their physical and mental strength, to sacrifice their lives and property in order to safeguard their independence and liberty.

Source: Ho Chi Minh, Selected Works (Hanoi, 1960-1962), Vol. 3, pp. 17-21.

Reply to
Anonny Moose

escape expounded:

So all smart people are rich, huh? Give it up, Victoria. The constant liberal drone of the downtrodded gets boring. Believe it or not people really can succeed in the US without coddling.

Reply to
Ann

Particularly if they are allowed to integrate. How nice.

escape

escape expounded:

That was sarcastic, as you well know. But do keep on bleating about it, the horse isn't dead yet.

Reply to
Ann

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

AT:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the recommendations I make. AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

Reply to
dr-solo

Sorry, stereotype error detected. Subject in question is a product of homeschooling, not the malfucntioning public school system.

Maybe you should try another excuse? Like, you don't know any words big enough that I have to look them up because you have a rather limited vocabulary. Murri

Reply to
Lady Blacksword

Go fornicate yourself. Besides, I happen to be female....... Murri

Reply to
Lady Blacksword

Yes, well, proof again that people do have a choice. Thay can infact choose to behave however they wish. Which gives rise to the conclusion that the idiot actually tries to be as stupid as he appears to be. Murri

Reply to
Lady Blacksword

What's your problem, twerp? You still don't know how to do it yourself?

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

How would you know? At 18 years of age, you don't have anywhere nearly enough life experience to be able to judge anyone. You still don't know anything at all, you Lazy Blackhead.

Once again, as the great William Schatner said: "Get A Life!!!"

So what? Storelard is the son of a truck driver. What does that make him? NOTHING!

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Thanks. My husband and/or I have read about every one of them and watched all the films, as well. We saw Molly Ivans yesterday on the stage at the State Theater when Al Franken broadcast his first show into the Austin market. We had him on satellite, but now Air America is on 24/7 and I couldn't be happier.

escape

Pucker, there's a word.

escape

What you do when you kiss Cereus' ass? Murri

Reply to
Lady Blacksword

I get all warm and fuzzy. And you?

escape