High Desert

Hmmm, really? Are your kids signed up yet? And yes, the boys and girls who sign on in the hinterlands of this country are indeed duped. They have no way out of their poverty stricken communities and the armed services are made out to look like joy bowls. Then we get a president who can't pronounce simple words and who hasn't a thought on his own accord who decides to bomb a nation which did not one thing to us, who sends the poor kids who just want a job into wars which are criminal.

escape

You'r correct...no ONE is being duped. YOU ALL are being duped!

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

I recall wanting to join the Air Force when I was in my twenties and that was in the 80s, the age maximum was 27 to enlist. I have no idea about the NG.

escape

"Starlord" expounded:

When they have no argument they resort to namecalling. Really lends them credibility ;->

I know, I've seen your name for years.

I'm pretty conservative on certain issues, but liberal on others. But I always vote with information and thinking on my own.

Oh, I wish I could be out there, but it's buried still, and we're getting more today. I had my peas in the ground at this time last year. I won't be getting them in this year until early April!

Reply to
Ann

escape expounded:

Funny you should ask. The younger tried, but believe it or not, his feet are too big (at size 16). The older one is covered in tattooes, so they won't take him, either. That somehow negates my ability to think for myself and disagree with you, I guess. Tough.

Everyone isn't poor, depressed, living in economic hardship, Victoria. You aren't, are you? I'm certainly not. I live in a fairly affluent area, and there are plenty of people with kids enlisted around me. And that in the bluest of the blue states......

Reply to
Ann

You know, Ann, I just figured it out........We need to box this troll up and ship him to France, where he'd be perfectly happy. He could spew anti-american goverment slogans and people would actually listen. Murri

Reply to
Lady Blacksword

Starlord, It has been noted more than once in history that excessive swearing generally indicates a stunted vocabulary. i.e.: He can't think of anything better, so he's resorting to third grade slurs. I just look at it and find it humorous that an allegedly grown man can't be more intellectually creative with his insults. Murri

Reply to
Lady Blacksword

As a note: I'm unfortunately an only child, and female, and the end of my line, so I'd never see combat anyway. And I wouldn't really be that much use flying a desk in the Marines with my latent talents (and the latent list of things I naturally flop at.) So, put that with knees that refuse to work properly under stress and cold weather.....I've chosen to do what I'm good at instead. ( Jewelry design and several other artforms.) At least I'm keeping the economy going. :-) My fiancé, however, served as an Army Paratrooper before we met, with several jumps into combat areas. His Father was a Air Force officer, and mine was a Sgt. in the Marines, motor transport div. Both of my grandfathers saw service in Japan and the South Pacific, one with the Marines, one Air Force. One of my uncles, now deceased, was in the Navy during Nam, doing radio related reconnaissance, another was in the Army at the same time, and still has vivid flashbacks due to the things he saw there.

Not like my family hasn't contributed. And I've certainly no intention of discouraging my children from enlisting, when I have kids and they are old enough. Murri

Reply to
Lady Blacksword

We won't hold THAT against you, however you certainly lack any clear understanding evidenced by your ignorance about France....

BTW you Bushes want heroes for fodder and yet your putz in the White House cuts veterans benefits....

Bush Proposal to Cut Vets' Benefits "President Bush has become the master of doublespeak. Out of one side of his mouth, he tells the public to 'support the troops' while out of the other side of his mouth he tells Congress to increase veterans' fees for healthcare," said Barry Romo, national coordinator for Vietnam Veterans Against the War (VVAW), in response to the White House's 2005 budget proposal to double many veterans' co-payment for prescription drugs and charge a new $250 annual fee to some veterans for their healthcare.

VVAW, an organization that opposes the war in Iraq, is joining other veterans' organizations in opposing the added costs to veterans. "When we enlisted, the government promised us lifelong health care. If Bush can give tax cuts to rich people, why isn't there enough money to maintain veterans' access to the prescription drugs that they need?" Romo questioned.

The organization is currently preparing to release a report on veterans' benefits that will detail the failure of the current administration to provide adequate healthcare for U.S. veterans and the troops coming out of Iraq and Afghanistan. The report will be released in the beginning of March, 2005. For more information, contact Tracy Van Slyke at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com or 312-315-1127.

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:37:00 -0500, "Lady Blacksword" wrote:

Lie: The Bush administration supports active duty servicemen and women. "He lied. They died." This is the ultimate truth for our men and women on active duty. Many of the combat personnel and support forces for the invasion were reservists and National Guard. Many were motivated by the little extra money for their families to get by on. But most served out of a commitment to being the needed human resources should our country be attacked or invaded. Preemptively invading another country that was not a tangible threat was not on their personal agenda or the nation's agenda when they enlisted. The proposed changes in eligibility could have the hardest impact on these future veterans, many of whom are already suffering from the mysterious "Gulf War pneumonia." Most of us now know that depleted uranium (DU) bullets and even the spent shell casings are radioactive. Future health problems related to DU ammunition are inestimable. As some Vietnam vets have suggested, we may have been better off in Vietnam compared to those now serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. The latter do not know when their tours of duty are up. And with many logistical services such as chow "out-serviced," even food and water isn't dependably delivered. Hospitalized soldiers are being charged for their hospital meals. One soldier who died from Gulf War pneumonia was "medically retired" from the Army shortly after he fell into a coma. This limited the DOD's responsibilities to him and his family.

Truth: Repeating the truth in the face of so many lies can be a frustrating experience. The experiences of veterans and their families are a strong tonic against Bush's lies. We all have to continue repeating the truth, especially the most important one. The only way to really support our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, the veterans-to-be, is to bring them home now. Then we must push for the resources to begin to heal the survivors among this new generation of veterans.

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

Lie: The Bush administration respects and provides for the health needs of the nation's veterans. Bush has promised record-setting budgets for Veterans Affairs. At least 18 large inpatient hospitals each serving thousands of veterans have been marked for closing or conversion to outpatient facilities. Bush's VA secretary Anthony Principi has claimed to have already cut services for a half million veterans. A pending change in the definition of service-connected health problems is under consideration. This change will stop future claims for conditions not directly connected with injury in combat, such as those of the atomic veterans, Agent Orange victims, PTSD sufferers, and those experiencing the mysterious Gulf War I and II syndromes and diseases. Over half of the 697,000 veterans of Gulf War I are ill with 200,000 claims not processed. The National Director of the Disabled American Veterans has charged that the Republicans have "declared war" on disabled American veterans.

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

So you are saying that you would rather be called a FRAUD?!!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

No Ann, you would be called a fanatical ultra-conservative. Going crazy with you right wing obsessions does not make you a liberal.

Just like all war mongers, you bury your mistakes.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Maybe you would be happy in France, twerp?

There you would absolutely get all the attention you crave. They would have you down on your bad knees day and night making you squeal like the pig boy you really are.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Just coming back at you dumbing to down to the language an 18 year old like you can really understand. Everybody knows you slackers are too lazy to bother to look up those "big words" in any dictionary.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

You're an 18 year old with bad knees? What is your problem? Lewisnky's syndrome? No doubt some bubble headed bungee jumper is just what you (k)need!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

People with "us and them" mentality usually are on the other end of being called the name. Sorry.

escape

Border states and costal states for the most part do not have the same poverty seen down the mid-section of the country. Have you ever been to Flint Michigan? Even visit Detroit? Ever go to a black neighborhood. Did you ever DRIVE through a black neighborhood? In New York on Long Island in Roosevelt not ONE student in the entire Roosevelt HS passed the SAT exams. NOT ONE.

I am by no means poor. I live rather well. That doesn't mean everyone does. However, if we keep on this track, there will be wealthy and very poor. So, congrats, we're on our way to becoming a third world nation. Give it, oh, another hundred years. We'll be there.

escape

"Cereus-validus....." expounded:

You haven't got a friggin clue what you're talking about, but it doesn't matter a wit to me, Stevie. Drone on.........

Reply to
Ann

escape expounded:

Born in Detroit, Michigan. Spent plenty of time in Michigan. I've been in plenty black neighborhoods, they're integrated around here, as a matter of fact.....or hadn't you heard?

The schools are another matter entirely (there are lots of schools here in Mass where students don't pass the MCAS, never mind SATs). Besides, we aren't talking about race, there are plenty of white boys in the service. People are people no matter what color they are. But beating the liberal drum that all are poor, black and disadvantaged that join the service is just ridiculous.

Reply to
Ann