The harvest begins ...

crossposted ...
  The garden is beginning to produce stuff now , just picked a couple of yaller squarshes , cucumbers are producing nicely , as are all 3 varieties of beans/field peas . Tomato plants are all over the top of the (five feet tall) cages with the exception of the Roma's . But IIRC they never did get as big as the slicing varieties . No ripe tomatoes yet , but all the plants are loaded , plus lots and lots of blossoms too . Turns out that one of my Serrano pepper plants is a jalapeno ... not sure how that happened , those seeds were clearly marked . That's OK though , I was wishing for some jalapenos for salsa . I also found a weakness in the Japanese beetles , they like morning sex ... and when they're coupled it slows them down enough to squash them before they get away . I think this year I'll harvest enough produce to make it seem worthwhile ... the wife has been kinda disappointed with the little I've been getting for all the work involved . I don't think she's going to feel that way this year ...
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Why can't you refer to her as MY wife? Refering to her as THE wife puts her on the same level as THE dog.... and perhaps not, I'll bet you say MY dog. Anyway my garden is finally picking up, finally some rain and a heat wave is expected. I hope there's enough growing season for the melons; cantaloupe/watermelon. My wife does most of the vegetable gardening and I do most all other gardening; flowers, bulbs, trees. mowing, and brush clearing which is substantial. Some 7 years ago a disease has killed all the yellow pine around here. I have a stand of about 100 large yellow pine alongside my back field that have begun to fall. I don't care about those that fall into the woods but those that fall into the open field need to be removed so I can keep that area mowed. I've been sawing some up as firewood as I can but it's tricky as I don't need a tree to fall on me. More will fall over winter and soon there won't be any ready to fall where I need to work. Those trees and other conifers were planted by the last owner, probably more than fifty years ago. It's a shame they are all dead but we can't see them from our house, we'll just need to be patient. I invited my next door neighbor to help himself to the firewood so he's been removing some too. Meanwhile with the yellow pine no longer producing shade other saplings are growing, mostly ash and shagbark hickory... critters are bringing seeds from the other side of the field, I see squirrels planting the seeds.

  Why do you care ? I've made it very plain how I feel about my wife , in about 6 weeks we'll be celebrating our 45th wedding anniversary . Can you say you've been in a relationship that long ? And it's "our" dog .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

He's been married a number of times so that should answer your question. :)
Cheri

Answers nothing, every woman I've ever been with has a NAME. All you are saying is that whoever you live with refers to you as as a THE, same as THE Trash. And from your posts here I believe whoever you cohabit with knows you are trash. I also believe you are trash.

Thank you Sheldon, I needed a good laugh. Especially for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IrWhjzAVOo

Cheri
Terry Coombs wrote:

i think Popeye is jealous. I bet he doesn't have any wife now, so he's made himself an imaginary wife.
On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 11:59:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

This is from the guy who denied he even had a wife for 10+ years, bitched about how all women sucked (especially his ex), and demeaned many women here on RFC often.
Yeah, you tell him, Pussy Katz!
-sw
Terry Coombs wrote: ...

they don't move as fast in the morning when it is cooler, that's when i go out and scout/pick them off and instead of squashing them i drop them in a container of very mild soapy water to drown them. then i take them and toss them at the end of the driveway for the birds to eat (hoping to train the birds to recognize them :)). not sure that is working but something does eat them.

it's rare we have a complete bust on all crops. certain ones may not do as well each year but most do ok. it's my main form of exercise so i'd be doing it even if we got nothing from it other than flowers (we used to grow very little in the way of vegetables).
tomatoes and cucumbers are the main crops we like to put up. beans i eat as many fresh as i can and then dry the rest. shellies (some lima beans and a few of the others) are good too, but i tend to not always have time for those unless the weather is looking threatening and there's a lot of pods i want to pick while i'm out there also getting the dry beans off the plants.
when i've been able to have an edamame crop those are one we like a lot for shellies.
songbird