Help and Advice Please

I'm new to the gardening world. It all looks so easy at the start but i'm having a little trouble and not sure what to do with a few certian things?

I got two rose bushes from Dobbies they look lovely but not sure where in the garden to put them as my Dad has filled it up pretty well (He passed away this year, so i've taken over to make sure the garden is looking lovely) Can rose bush be kept potted or do these have to be planted? Also which soil is best?

Another, i have two hanging baskets but due to the recent frost, snow & hail etc they are starting to rot away? Will these bloom again? Is there a way to make sure they do?

I have also sowed some seeds about 7 weeks ago and nothing? Am i too impatient? I've put them in peat soil in individual pots and left them in a shaded / sun spot? Do i need to put a protective cover over them......have i basically just answered my question?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheryl

Reply to
CherylSande

***Roses COULD stay potted in a very large pot, with very good drainage, and regular feeding. But theywould be happier in good soil. What kind of soil do you have

-- acidic or basic? Have you gone on-line to study planting roses? Or gone to the library to study up on the field?

***What kind of flowers are they? Some can come back from frost; some can't. Where are these baskets -- indoors or outdoors? How much sun do they get. If they're not dead, depending on the plant (upright or hanging) they might be happier in the ground or in a large pot with good soil.

What seeds are they? Flowers? Food plants? Seven weeks is a longish time to await germination.

What is the temperature where you live right now. What is it going to be later in the season? Do you have frost? If so, from when to when? Have you watered the seeds? How often and how much?

You can tell from the above, which just scratches the surface, that a new gardener needs to do some basic research. Fortunately, it's never been easier, with vast resources at our command with the click of a mouse.

Also, when you ask advice on a garden group, it's customary to say where you live and what the climate is like so people can address your concerns.

If you want to come back with more info, people will try to help you. But you really have to help yourself by studying up. My mantra is "Treat plants like you would animals, including humans. What do we need first? Air. Next, water. Next, food. (Plants, of course, need sunshine. We human animals can pop pills for our Vitamin D.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

You'll like my KF ;O)