Help to ID purple flower

Hi all, This purple flower was in a gift bouquet. I think it's an Iris. Does anyone know the species? Thanks for your help.

Grigori Markov

yes, it is an iris, but i cannot give you a popular name or species for it.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

It is commonly called a Dutch iris and is a bulb. It is possibly Iris xiphium or Iris sibirica. Even in my climate, they go dormant sometimes as early as July.

I happen to prefer bearded iris, Iris germanica, which is a rhizome. The flowers are larger and last longer than those from bulb iris. They are evergreen, even through the winter.

Reply to
David E. Ross

David E. Ross wrote: ...

i like the bulb irises because they can flower so early here that they're coming up through the snow.

they are out now and i'm always glad to see them. :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird