citric waste

just heard on the 5:30 news that some company is planning on building a factory in Florida that will produce ethanol from orange peel and other citric waste.

wonder what that will do to citric prices in the stores.......

Reply to
rachael simpson

Then it wouldn't be called waste, would it? Waste is a human term for inefficient management.

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

true,

that was the news report's word for it, not mine it was reported on the local nbc station. trying to find a link for the story, so far no luck though.

Reply to
rachael simpson

Anything with sugar, starch and/or cellulose can be fermented if the polysacharides are broken down first to simple sugars. You could probably also burn the limonene extracted from orange peel in a diesel but then your vehicle would really smell like a lemon ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank

i could go for the smell..........but agree with others that they should find something else to use instead of driving food prices up.

Reply to
rachael simpson

I'm sure the word you want is "citrus".

Reply to
Sheldon

yes, sorry, didn't catch that when i was typing...........thank you sheldon

Reply to
raeannsimpson

Let's say that hypothetically, the waste is what's left after making orange juice. Why would using the waste for some other purpose affect the price of the juice you buy?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Maybe not juice, but maybe milk. Like high corn prices have done. "Food into Fuel", the 21st century miracle......... And, they'll still feed the leftover, less nutritional crap to cows.

FPL to Convert Citrus Waste Into Ethanol | Chron.com - Houston ..."That waste is normally converted into animal feed. Our waste product is the animal feed, so the animals don't lose out completely," Stewart said.

Great. So

Reply to
cat daddy

Reply to
jangchub

What makes you think food prices will go up because a company, which most likely uses the oranges to make juice, will use the waste to supplement petrol?

Reply to
jangchub

Fundamentally, I'm against finding ways to keep the internal combustion engine going, especially if it involves using food or food by-products. The by-products should be composted and returned to the earth, rather than burned. Besides the use of citrus waste for animal feed (which may be good or bad), but will make poultry and cow raisers look for alternatives, citrus oil has uses as a bio-friendly cleaner, flavouring, and other uses listed at the site below. I imagine candied lemon peel will cost more, at the very least...

Solvent Replacement being extremely useful, imo.

Reply to
cat daddy

I understand your point, but wouldn't it be better for the environment if they did something/anything, to replace the burning of fossil fuels? I doubt they put citrus into a compost at Tropicana.

I think anything is better than this idiotic use of petrol.

Reply to
jangchub

If it actually replaces fossil fuels, perhaps in the short term, until we come to our senses about we live on this planet. The current biofuel/factory farm monoculture fad still uses more energy to produce, transport, and fertilize (from oil).

If it doesn't have cash profit, the right thing is never done.

Reply to
cat daddy

Yessir..... On National Public Radio here yesterday, there was a discussion of farm subsidies and Big Agribusiness gets 30% of their income from that corporate welfare program. No mention of that from the current regime when discussing cutting "entitlement" programs, of course. The little guy gets squat.

Reply to
cat daddy

i can certainly vouch for that!

Reply to
rachael simpson

Don't know where you came from, but welcome and glad to read 'ya. Maybe your're an old hand. Another like-minded one, it would seem.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Glad to read you, too. I don't post much anymore, if I ever really did here. I had to look myself up and apparently I go back to 2002 (and probably lurked for quite some time before that). Something about Udder Balm and Bag Balm and Shania Twain rubbing it all over......... Hey, someone was looking for it and it's makes a gardener's hands soft, too, so it was on-topic.

Reply to
cat daddy

Hmmmmmmm........rubbing Bag Balm Shania makes......????.....hmmmmm......

Never mind.

Well met.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Well you old killjoy! Here I was trying to imagine what the new old guy was on about with his post and you go and inject reality into my daydream!! Thinkin' about gardens and .........never mind again.

Phooo! (oops)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie