Bougainvellea in a container

I bought this beautiful Bougainvillea in Florida a couple of weeks ago. Its hardy and really for outdoors. But I knew I couldn't plant here in NYC where I live because of the seasons. I was hopeing that if I keep it in a container and restrain its growth, I could appreciate it each spring and summmer. Is this possible with this plant? Do I have to keep pruning it to keep it curtailed?

Reply to
Boothbay

This plant (depending on the cultivar) will take a little cold weather and a touch of frost. But they are really subtropical and like heat, they like direct sun, that's a north aspect below the equator and vice versa. If I had any idea where in the world NYC was I might hazzard an idea if this applies. If you live where it snows more than a few drops get a hot house.

If you have it in a good spot you will have no doubt about the issue of pruning, unless you prune it will take over your life and grab hold of your children and/or pets. Once established in the right position you can prune with a chinsaw and it will love you. If the poor little bleeder wont grow then dont prune it because this is cruel and pointless. Restraining its growth by root containment may work, I havn't tried it.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

A friend gave me a potted Bougainvella last fall and I have had it in the greenhouse until moving it outside today. Have posted a picture you may view at

plant is not much larger than it was last fall when it was given to me so I would guess that container growing slows down the growth of these plants. If not prunig is no problem with these plants.

Marv-Montezuma, IA

VMWOOD

My mother has one in NE KY. She keeps it under fluorescent lighting (in her house) in the winter and puts it out in the summer. She's had it for several years.

Leighann

Reply to
Leighann

NYC = New York City Murri