Growing weeping yaupon holly in a container

Greetings to all!

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to grow a weeping yaupon holly in a large container. Since they grow rather large (>20 feet high), would the container help to curb the high growth? I live in Zone 6A and would love to have one of these trees, but see that most sites list them as hardy to Zone

  1. I have a heated greenhouse where it could placed in the Winter. Any info would be appreciated.
Reply to
curvefan

In my experience plants in containers are prone to be over watered. Yaupons do not like a lot of water. All you can do is try and see what happens. If you keep the roots pruned and treat it like a large bonsai, it may work for you.

Tell me, I've never heard of a weeping yaupon. Do you have an exact botanical name? I live in zone 8b and have many yaupons of all types in our gardens.

animaux

The scientifc name is Ilex vomitoria f. pendula. Here's a link to a pic with information...

for the info!!!

Reply to
curvefan

Ilex vomitoria f. pendula... usually available at Barton Springs Nursery

Cea

Reply to
Celeste Evans

Great, thanks! I went up to Zilker today for Xmas tree mulch...GONE! Oh well, next year.

animaux