Tall shrub or tree that can be grown in large planter on a deck?

We will soon have a new 2nd story deck, and along one side, we want to plant something tall to block the view of our neighbor's house. To do this, we'd like to buy a few large pots or planters to put along the railing on the deck's floor and plant either a tall shrub or small tree. We don't want to have to build a lattice above the railing for vines ... we prefer a small tree or shrub. This part of the deck is shaded through at least 50% of the day, so it should be a shrub or tree that can tolerate partial shade. And it should be suitable to be grown in a large planter or pot, so that rules out anything that has a large root system. Ideally, we'd like it to grow to about 6 feet or more. We live in Minnesota (is that zone 4?), so it needs to be a pretty hardy tree or shrub.

Can you think of any tree or shrub that would work? Preferably it should be fast growing and kind of dense, so it blocks the view of our neighbors house. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated! And any tips you may have on what pots or planters would work particularly well for the recommended tree or shrub on the floor of a deck, would be welcomed!

Reply to
Dave K.

I have grown Oleander in a pot & they do well. I would suggest you include a deep water tray, they like to drink up water when dry windy weather is around. You will need to root trim once a year then add compost.

other ideas-- any evergreen shrub you would put in the ground,choose one with berries in winter & have an extra plus.{ex: Nelly R. Stevens}Nandinas work really nice! /elagneous (spelling?),/Viburnums,/ Bay tree? / citrus/ dwarf fruit? --- I would also highly recommend you fertilize with organic fertilizer- I have had long term vigor with that method. here is site i like...

can join the discussion group & see what others think

take picutures & let us know!!!!!!!!! jfrost

Reply to
jfrost