central oregon gardens?

come about end of june or july, or whenever my present home has been sold, my family and i will be hop(ping), skip(ping), and jump(ing) our way to west-central oregon...about 25 minutes east of klamath falls, to be exact.

i AM aware the climate is akin to high desert; but i'm not sure about anything else, even though i've written extensive letters to OSU (oregon state u)...and i was wondering if anyone here can help me??

i'm looking for info about what the usda zone is? (i'm thinking zone 6? the winter temperature is not supposed to drop below 5 degrees F). also, the soil is sandy with a high content of lava rock---and i'm wondering if the soil could be anything like the lava-type soil in hawaii---rich and good growing medium??? i'm pretty sure the pH will be pretty close to equal between alkaline and acidic, but there, too, i'm not having any GOOD idea, at all.

so, please...if there's anyone here who lives in or near klamath falls (bonanza, sprague river , olene, dairy, etc.) could you give me some ideas what to look forward to?? i would love to, once again, be able to grow russian olive (Elaeagnus angustifolia) trees; lots and lots of spearmint & peppermint; i REALLY, REALLY want another Fagus sylvatica 'tricolour'---and many other goodies i used to grow in usda zone

5,sl,ut..... so....ANY and ALL help would truly be appreciated.....and if you wish to respond to me and/or the group, my REAL email addy is below my signature; and i thank you, in advance, for your efforts.

~~gypsy

Reply to
frogfog

presley

i don't know a whit about the 'sunset' zones based on the fact that is purely a western ideal; however, i MUST disagree with these ideas you've laid out in your posting....go to:

check out the lower part of the page. i DO believe 4000 weather stations are more in the know than a magazine based in california!!!

Reply to
frogfog

Reply to
presley

The zones come from a book "Sunset Western Gardens" which everyone should have. See if you can't find it at a library or book store, check it out. It's good. The magazine used to be good at one time.

Reply to
Charles