crape myrtle in pots

I have this hardy crape myrtle plant in my backyard garden for 15 years and blooms each year profusely. Last spring, I noticed some 'sprouts' around its base and I removed t hem root and all and put them into various size pots. I brought them indoors last september and nutured them and they looked healthy. BTW, I live in the nyc area..zone 6 or 7. A couple of weeks ago I started to put them outside on a small patio to get adjusted to the outdoors when it finally does get warmer. I bring them indoors at night although they are suppose to be hardy. I'm talking about plants that are almost 2 feet high. In one day, I noticed that the leaves look like they have been 'toasted' by the sun. The temp was merely in the low 60's during the day and low 40's at night. I immediately brought them indoors and the leaves started to recuperate. Why does this happen to a so called hardy plant? When will the temperature be right to leave them out altogether, if at all?

Reply to
Boothbay

Plants that have grown indoors for extended periods need to be acclimated to the outdoors. I put them in a shady, sheltered area for several days before exposing them to direct sunlight.

Reply to
Vox Humana

You should have left them outside to begin with by burying the pots in the ground over the winter.

Reply to
Travis