Bonsai Crape Myrtle?

I have 2 hardy crape myrtles in containers. One in a 16" barrel and the other in a 12" barrel. They are doing just fine. I was wondering if they can be Bonsaied, is there is such a word. I think I read somewhere that most tropicals can, and also they have to remain outside all the time. There is the rub. Here in NYC area won't they die duing winters..in a container..even if they are hardy?

Reply to
Boothbay

"Boothbay" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Yes, Crape Myrtle make lovely bonsai. A nice way to get an interesting twisty trunk it to use root cuttings, just pot them up and they take off.

Your tree will need winter protection, you can simply bury the pot in the ground, or heap pine needles around it, or keep it in a cool greenhouse or shade house for the winter.

Reply to
David Bockman

"Boothbay" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Forgot to post some fine examples: