ID this plant

Came up in one of the rose beds. Didn't pull it out because foliage looked interesting. Anybody recognize?

IMG]

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

"Higgs Boson" wrote

Corpus Christi Texas? I'm thinking mostly along the SC/NC coastal areas. Might be in other places of course. If I'm placing it right, doesn't get very tall (2ft max?) and not hard to control at all in beds. Interesting looking brownish purple and considered a weed by most.

Reply to
cshenk

Perhaps related to sorrel.

Bill who putters

Where are you? What is your climate? Have you seen anything like this in neighboring gardens or growing wild?

Reply to
David E. Ross

Hi It could be Dodonaea 'Purpurea' Purple Hopseed Bush

Emilie

Reply to
mleblanca

That's what I thought. Without knowing where it is growing, however, I'm not sure.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Santa Monica CA. So. Calif coastal, Mediterranean. US 8

Never seen.

HN

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Very good call! I went there and the leaves look very similar. So I will leave it to do its thing for a while and see what happens.

Thank you!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Yes, in Santa Monica, this could indeed be Dodonaea. It's widely planted in southern California. I see several in my own neighborhood.

Watch out! It can grow into a very large shrub -- to 15 feet tall and almost as wide -- and crowd out your rose.

Reply to
David E. Ross

yes. its definantly Dodonea viscosa 'Purpurea' , it makes a beautiful bushy evergreen shrub and has large reddish purple seed pods. It grows very well down here In Cornwall uk, as its incredibly salt tolerant but its main attribute is its resistance to drought, so Ideal in a tub. it seems to be hardy down to -4 celcius and benefits from spring pruning. I grow alot from seed and I would imagine this is how you got yours.

best wishes, Lannerman

Reply to
lannerman

Thanks, Lannerman -- but I didn't plant it. It just volunteered one day, and as I wrote earlier, the foliage was so attractive that I thought I'd let it grow for a while. With all the good input from the NG, I am definitely going to nurture it.

Tx to all

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson