Privacy

Hi everyone

First time post. Got a bit of a problem require privacy in my garden but the boundary fence is my neighbours and is only 3ft high and they dont want to replace it for a higher one. The next problem is that I only have a narrow gap to plant and a supporting wall for the rest of the garden. What could I grow that will be high for privacy but would grow over next doors and the roots wont effect my supporting wall. My thoughts were bamboo but is there a better option I havent thought of. Any ideas will be great

Reply to
gardening girl

Don't understand "grow over next doors".

What is your climate?

How long is the boundary fence?

Huge caution about bamboo. Unless you get a variety that doesn't spread underground, it will take over everything and will be very difficult to remove. How narrow is your planting gap? You could do a Web search for plants that meet your needs.

Aside from planting a privacy border, you could always build your own fence just inside the neighbor's, as tall as your local code permits.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Reply to
gardening girl

Bamboo is an extremely invasive plant. I vote no.

Reply to
Dick Adams

Erect your own privacy fence, on your property, a taller fence... a 4' length of stockade 6' tall and two fence posts couldn't cost more than US$50.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

garden> the boundary fence length which needs privacy is 4 foot.

So how high would the tree/shrub need to be to give you privacy?

As asked before, how long is the fence?

Are you prepared to prune a hedge often or must it grow without any attention?

The fence is

Why do you only have a foot? Why can't you plant more on to your property away from the fence?

What is your climate? Where approximately are you?

There is no point in people making recommendations for trees or shrubs that will not grow well (at all) where you live. You are not giving us much to go on. These questions are asked to try to give you a useful answer not to be nosy.

David

PS Try bottom posting, it makes conversations much easier to follow as you can read them from top to bottom.

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Get some old, fat, ugly men to wander around your yard half naked. Your neighbors will build a fence for you.

Reply to
Mysterious Traveler

Seems you're applying for the position. LOL

Reply to
Brooklyn1

I do fit that example. :-)

Reply to
Mysterious Traveler

but you're forgetting the neighbors! Maybe that's the reason they don't want a higher fence. :)

Donna WA zone 8-9

Reply to
Irondale