Besides eating,what else do you think pineapples are also good for ?

TMI about kiwi (haven't experienced that with kiwi either)... I don't like papaya, so no biggie - say anything you want.

Reply to
sf

I'll vouch for that. I've never used it as a tenderisers although I know about it but when I prepar a pineapple I can't resist nibbling at the flesh left on the core even though I know i'll have a sore mouth for hours.

Short term hedonist, that's me!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Keith" wrote

I hate the things so for me they are expensive compost only

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

If I were you ... and this is just me, mind you ... I might stop buying them.

Reply to
cybercat

On Jul 16, 5:20 pm, sf wrote: I've tried to root the top in the past, but

It's worked for me, but my cat likes to chew on the new 'leaves'. Makes a free plant, tho.

Reply to
val189

They'd only be immune if not made from meat, I guess. :)

Miche

Reply to
Miche

sf, screw off the pineapple head, remove some lower leaves, place in a wine-glass filled with water on a windowsill and they will root. My latest challenge is to keep them alive over winter and then plant in the garden to see what happens. I know they like coastal climates in SA as they grow extensively in the East London district, but here on the highveld is a different story where we get -3C almost every night.

HTH/

Reply to
I3

Mugabe, Mbeki & Tsvangirai were lost in the forest and were captured by cannibals. The cannibal king told the prisoners that they could live if they passed a trial. The first step of the trial was to go to the forest and get ten pieces of the same kind of fruit. So all three men went separate ways to gather fruits.

Mbeki came back and said to the king, "I brought ten apples". The king then explained the trial to him. "You have to shove the fruits up your butt without any expression on your face or you will be eaten". The first apple went in.... but on the second one he winced out in pain, so he was killed. Tsvangirai arrived and showed the king ten berries. When the king explained the trial to him, he thought to himself that this should be easy. 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8., and on the ninth berry he burst out in laughter and was killed.

Mbeki & Tsvangirai met in heaven and Mbeki asked Tsvangirai, "Why did you laugh, you almost got away with it?" Tsvangirai replied, "I couldn't help it, I saw Mugabe coming with pineapples".

[...]

Miche wrote on Fri, 18 Jul 2008 07:56:09 +1200:

"If the Juju had not meant us to eat people, he wouldn't have made us from meat". Flanders and Swann: "The Reluctant Cannibal".

Reply to
James Silverton

For a few months I've been subscribing to home deliveries of organic fruit and veggies, mostly locally grown, but some from far away. My intake of papaya, pineapple, kiwi, and suchlike, has skyrocketed, and to use all this stuff I've been making lots of fruit smoothies and icies. I've also been battling painful cracking at the corners of my mouth, something I never experienced in my whole life, and thought was just another gawdamned side effect of aging. I'd several times read about the effects of these enzymes but it didn't go into my longterm memory partly because I didn't think it had ever effected me so why worry about it. But now that I know what it is I'm sure as hell gonna wash up after eating fruit! Still gonna eat it though. It's tasty. And I'm pooping MUCH better I bet you're glad to know.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

I've seen them used for hedging in Africa where the plants can grow to over 3 ft in height. David Hill

Reply to
Dave Hill

"cybercat" wrote

Try telling the Mrs that! She buys them at the request of daughter who then doesn't "get round" to eating them presumably.

But no, I wouldn't specifically buy them for their aesthetic enhancement of the composting process

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

The juice is supposed to be good for tenderising meat.

Reply to
Astral Voyager

I'm sorry, but I am *not* beating my meat with a pineapple!

Reply to
Dave Bell

Blowing up stores.

OR

Pineapple Bomb Recipe A great summertime drink, this one blends pineapple juice, amaretto and bourbon. Enjoy in those lazy, hazy days of summer!

1oz bourbon 1/2oz amaretto 3oz pineapple juice
Reply to
Dimitri

Drinking... pina coladas.

If you value your lips do NOT suck the bits of flesh that cling to pared pineapple skin.

Sheldon

Bleurch!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Just choked on my coffee, then realised you were trying to grow the top. In Oz "root" is also a slang word meaning the same thing as f*ck.

JB

er of carats in a diamond.

Reply to
Golden One