Question about balloon flower

Two years ago a friend gave me some balloon flower cuttings to plant. After planting they developed nicely and produced nice blue flowers. This year the flowers are white. Why the change in color? How do I keep them blue?

Reply to
Nathan Gutman

I've never read why they do it but balloon flowers can indeed from one summer to the next turn spontaneously from blue to white, or to white striped, sometimes even to doubles. If you get a good oddity you can take cuttings and get lots of them.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Would this maybe have any connection with the soil being alkaline or acidic? Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Gutman

i understand that balloon flower have two different colors: deep blue and white. so isn't that you had both when you got the cuttings? There seems to be a slight difference in size between these two. ive never heard of the story which says that they change colors like hydrangea.

Ono

Reply to
Ono