Please can you help a newbie.

Hi, i`m new here and i`m sorry if i have posted this in the wrong section but here goes.... I have bought two venus fly trap plants last week, they are in a small plastic pot with holes in the bottom. I have them stood on plates and i have noticed that when i move the pots there is some sort of little (i mean tiny) bugs running around. It seems worse when i have just watered them but they are there all of the time. Is this normal? What are the little creatures? my immediate thought was to bin the plants but i don`t really want to. Thanks for any advice/help given

Reply to
donna30

What exactly do these little 'bugs' look like? are they black?

Kathryn

i`m new here and i`m sorry if i have posted this in the wrong section but here goes.... I have bought two venus fly trap plants last week, they are in a small plastic pot with holes in the bottom. I have them stood on plates and i have noticed that when i move the pots there is some sort of little (i mean tiny) bugs running around. It seems worse when i have just watered them but they are there all of the time. Is this normal? What are the little creatures? my immediate thought was to bin the plants but i don`t really want to. Thanks for any advice/help given

Reply to
Kathryn Selfe

Any chance of a more complete description? Are they red, for instance?

Try putting out a piece of white paper (outside!) and banging the plant onto it. The critters should drop off, and a decent magnifying glass should give you an opportunity to get a good look at them. When you say "tiny" I immediately thought 'red spider mite', which is a very common plant parasite.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Thanks for the replies, The things are black, i think, they are very hard to see ( about 1mm in length and less in width) they look like a tiny fly running around, I dont have a magnifying glass to get a better look. I will try to get hold of one though.

Reply to
donna30