Bay tree - Laurus Nobilis

Hi,

Could anyone with a Bay tree expiereince give me some advice on how many times I should water my new Bay tree? I'm a novice in gardening and I just got the tree few hours ago, it is a 5 years old, and about

1.2 feet high and it is in a pot and indoors.

thanks a lot for your help. Best regards from Finland Keni

Reply to
Keni

I have a Bay laurel which is in the ground for six years and it is well over ten feet tall! I live in Texas, boiling hot all the time and very little rain in summer months. The tree does not like to be overwatered. I rarely fertilize it, but it does get top dressed with compost and mulch. You can do this in a pot also. When I do fertilize it, I use liquid seaweed, and since it is outdoors I also use fish emulsion (it stinks).

If I had one growing in a container, as you, I would make sure it is not root bound in the pot. Pretty soon it will go dormant, especially since soon it will be mostly dark where you live. If you don't have a greenhouse, you'll need to supply artificial light. If you don't supply added light and your bay tree isn't happy, I'm relatively certain it will go dormant and start to grow again in the spring.

If you are going to make a topiary of it, start shaping it now. They do not grow fast in containers. In a container the plant cannot venture its roots for nutrition, so you really should fertilize it monthly in the growing season. If the leaves turn yellow you are over watering it and back off.

The size of the container should be no more than two inches larger than the container it's in now. I hope that all helps.

Reply to
Jangchub

GREAT, thanks a lot for the A1 comments. BR Keni Finland

Reply to
Keni