cutting back a bay tree

Hello all. My tree is several years old, in a pot. Despite my neglect, it has survived hot GA summers and frosts in the winter. I can't remember ever cutting it back.

How would you experienced bay tree growers go about cleaning this guy up. The main trunk of it is about 4-5 feet high, with a couple of shorter pieces coming up from the root. It just looks really leggy and rough. Can I safely just whack this tree down to a foot or so (or even more) and count on it restarting itself in the spring?

Reply to
freemont

Do you mean BayBerry? If so, yes, but wait until spring. It does well as a trimmed shrub. Smells good too!

John!

freem> Hello all. My tree is several years old, in a pot. Despite my neglect, it

Reply to
GA Pinhead

Reply to
Thomas

Thanks, good stuff there. I'm keeping this one in a pot just because I don't intend to live here forever and I'd like to take him with me wherever I may go. He and my asparagus fern are the only plants I've had to survive this long in a pot; all the others died due to negligence. (mostly herbs)

"rocket surgery"... heheh

Reply to
freemont