Lemon Tree Advice to a newbie please: Is it wide enough to plant my new bought lemon tree?

Hi everyone, I'm SO NEW to gardening. I was an earth day volunteer of "Tree People" a few weeks ago and after that event I decided to plant my first tree. So this morning I went to homedepot and bought a Semi- Dwarf Eureka Lemon baby-tree, that was already in a pot, about 3-4 ft tall. My question is: Is this spot shown in the picture below wide enough to plant this lemon tree? See picture:

spot is between two plants (red circle), about 5 - 6 feet long. If I plant the lemon tree there, will those 2 plants prevent it from growing? Or the other way? I don't know the name of these 2 plants...

Please help! Thanks!

Reply to
chinese_pilot

I'd just recommend studying the various varieties available to meet your needs. Home Depot may be OK but a visit to a local large garden may give you some idea of what is available and what a mature tree can be. Still it is OK to make many mistakes.

I'd place a small water display in that spot with a large mirror behind it to infer infinity. I also thing that a mural would be kind of neat. That wall looks like a canvas!!

Make your own or look for stuff like this

Bill

Reply to
Bill

It helps if you say where you are when asking such questions. I am assuming that the spot gets sun most of the day and that you are in a warm temperate area. If that's not so speak up.

The spot looks a reasonable size for a dwarf. The shrub on the right looks like a hibiscus, which may grow quite large but it is quite tough and will take some pruning, I am not sure about the one on the left. Keep the shrubs down, or move one of them if you think they will encroach. Lemons don't like root competition as they feed near the surface.

If your soil is very heavy (ie has much clay) build up the spot and plant into a mound rather than plant it into a hole that may become a pool and drown the lemon in wet weather. In either case enrich with organic matter before planting. Also mulch afterwards to keep out weeds and conserve moisture.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott